CAPTAIN SIM FORUM
General >> Hangar talks >> VOR problem
https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl?num=1311305440

Message started by boeing247 on Jul 22nd, 2011 at 3:30am

Title: Re: VOR problem
Post by LOU on Jul 23rd, 2011 at 2:58pm
Try something for me...

Find a VOR that you can see or find from the air.
On VFRMAP.com plot a radial to another VOR that is not too far away, lets say 40 to 60 miles.
Fly the radial from one VOR to the other using the plotted radial and see if it takes you right over the second VOR.

I did just that, and here is what I found.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2396/ottvor.jpg

I plotted a course from the OTT VOR to the SBY VOR.
The radial from OTT is 120 degrees.
When the needle indicated station passage I froze the sim and took these captures.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3166/ottvorinside.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7537/ottvoroutside.jpg

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1153/ottvorgps.jpg


The GPS is dead on as is the VOR.
The depiction of the plane in the GPS is facing the wrong way because
I hit the "Y" key to bring the plane down in altitude.
The distance from OTT to SBY is about 50 miles.
At 60 miles, one degree is one mile wide.

I have not seen a problem with the VOR vs GPS.
Lets see what you all find.

Lou


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


CAPTAIN SIM FORUM » Powered by YaBB 2.6.0!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2026. All Rights Reserved.