Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
NAV/GPS shortcut? (Read 5996 times)
expat

NAV/GPS shortcut?
Jan 16th, 2017 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Hi all.  Also have the CS C130, 727 and 707. All excellent models.  Just bought the 777. A little disappointed as I rarely have a lot of time for flying and will not use the 777 much if I need to do the full CDU programmning. 

Is there a way to bypass it so you can simply follow a "direct to" GPS route using LOC/NAV on the AP like in default FSX aircraft?  Or if not, can I just import a default FSX format FP into the CDU (without also having to add SIDS, STARS, weight, legs etc etc) and the AP will follow the imported FSX flightplan?

Thanks

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: NAV/GPS shortcut?
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
expat wrote on Jan 16th, 2017 at 12:17pm:
Hi all.  Also have the CS C130, 727 and 707. All excellent models.  Just bought the 777. A little disappointed as I rarely have a lot of time for flying and will not use the 777 much if I need to do the full CDU programmning. 

Is there a way to bypass it so you can simply follow a "direct to" GPS route using LOC/NAV on the AP like in default FSX aircraft?  Or if not, can I just import a default FSX format FP into the CDU (without also having to add SIDS, STARS, weight, legs etc etc) and the AP will follow the imported FSX flightplan?

Thanks

Okay. I have to admit than when I saw this post, my thought was "You've got to be kidding me. Why would you buy the 777 if you wanted to only do GPS flights?". And then I thought "I wonder if it's possible." So I tried it. It is possible, and it's not too hard to do!

What I did:

1. I created, and saved, and loaded a route using the inbuilt FSX Flight Planner.
2. I opened the CDU, went to the ROUTE page, and loaded the flight plan (SEND > FLTSIM FPL > found my newly saved flight plan and loaded it
3. Pressed the DEP ARR button, and found that the departure runway was the one I selected when creating the route (I didn't select Active runway, I selected an actual runway). Then I selected an Arrival runway (I selected a Runway number, not an ILS/RNAV runway).
4. I got the 777 ready for takeoff, and selected LNAV on the MCP (AP), then I right clicked on A/T (Auto Throttle button) on the MCP.

I had to manage the Climb (FPM) and Airspeed myself, and switch from IAS to MACH when I felt I needed to (around FL250). The 777 followed the route fine, but I had to figure out the TD myself (or I could have made the saved route an IFR, and then the ATC would have advise me when to start descending (which I strongly recommend you do)).

Also, I had to take a guess at what the Approach speed would need to be, so having done the route before (but having done a full program of the CDU), I took a stab at 30/140,  which was probably a bit fast to be honest, but that's what happens if you don't want to do the whole thing the way it should be done!

To top it all off, I had a lot of fun doing it, so I have to say thank you for asking this question. And I can honestly say that YES, you can do it that way. BUT. If you are not familiar with the 777's performance characteristics, you are bound to come to grief (crash the thing), which I nearly did when I climbed too steep, and the airspeed started to drop, when I wasn't watching it closely enough! I thought I had bl;own it and was going to lose it.

Note. I didn't use real weather for the flight. I wasn't confident enough to try!

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

expat

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Mark,
Exactly what I was looking for.  Smiley Very kind of you to take the time.  Yes, managing speed, vs, and other things manually instead of through the FMC still requires attention and keeps one on their toes + can still be fun.
Many thanks,
expat

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
You're welcome.

One more very important thing I forgot to mention in my original reply.

The arrival runway I chose was an ILS runway, and the ILS FREQ/HDG was showing on the NAV RAD page, but is has PARK next to it, so it isn't active. At some stage during the flight, you will need click LSK4L (besided the FREQ/HDG for the ILS) TWICE so that it becomes active, otherwise you'll have to land the 777 manually (you might prefer that anyway).

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

expat

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Just to report back.  I just loaded a saved flight, then following your instructions called up my previously saved flightplans in the CDU.  Selected one and then - I think - was able to load it by pressing "execute" (?) and pressed LNAV and presto, it started following the route.  Interesting I could see the route in the left ND but not in the GPS popup or the FS map.  Anyway, I think I am making progress.  Was not able to follow really the arrive/depart and runway selection thing - I keep getting arrival info for my departure airport, but will keep experimenting.

Question:  if you wanted to change your FP mid flight is there a way to input a different destination ICAO into the CPU and fly "direct to" that different airport?

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 10:33am
Print Post  
expat wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 9:58am:
Just to report back.  I just loaded a saved flight, then following your instructions called up my previously saved flightplans in the CDU.  Selected one and then - I think - was able to load it by pressing "execute" (?) and pressed LNAV and presto, it started following the route.  Interesting I could see the route in the left ND but not in the GPS popup or the FS map.  Anyway, I think I am making progress.  Was not able to follow really the arrive/depart and runway selection thing - I keep getting arrival info for my departure airport, but will keep experimenting.

Question:  if you wanted to change your FP mid flight is there a way to input a different destination ICAO into the CPU and fly "direct to" that different airport?

When you load a route into the CDU, you are not loading a route into FSX, so the GPS won't see it. If you want to see the route in both the CDU, and the GPS, you will also have to load the route from the default FS Flight planner.

I forgot to say you have to activate the route by pressing the EXEC button on the CDU, to activate/execute the plan.

You can select a new destination mid flight, and I'm pretty sure you have to create/load it in RTE2, and then press EXEC to set it to the active route.

To fly Direct-To, you need to move the Waypoint to the top of the first page on the LEGS page. And yes, the waypoint can be the airport itself.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

expat

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Much appreciated - thanks Mark.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top