Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Speedbrake extension message on EICAS (Read 4966 times)
Fly from Portland

Speedbrake extension message on EICAS
Mar 4th, 2016 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Does anybody know if this message is supposed to happen when you extend them when drag is required. Right now it is not happening, but it does give the message on the ground, why not in the air. Tongue

Marc&&Dell XPS 8300 AMD Radeon HD 6450&&Intel(R)Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU@2.90GHz&&6 GB 64 bit&&&&

IP Logged

Jim Kaye

Re: Speedbrake extension message on EICAS
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 6:36am
Print Post  
If I am flying the 777 at say 300 knots, and the flight plan displayed on the CDU (F7, LEGS) calls for a reduction to say 250 knots, it will display the message DRAG REQUIRED, to inform that speed brakes should be applied.

Jim Kaye

[img]https://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/x777/x777_3.jpg[/img

IP Logged

guy

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Fly from Portland wrote on Mar 4th, 2016 at 1:44am:
Does anybody know if this message is supposed to happen when you extend them when drag is required. Right now it is not happening, but it does give the message on the ground, why not in the air. Tongue

The message "SPËEDBRAKE extended" should appear on Eicas in the AIR if thrust levers are not closed !

From 777 FCOM: "Eicas message SPEEDBRAKE EXTENDED(+aural beep): Speedbrake is extended when radio altitude is between 15 and 800 feet, or when the flap lever is in a landing position, or when either thrust lever is not closed"

On the CS777, when airborne, the message appears only in the first 2 conditions (Ra between 15 and 800, plane in landing configuration)
It is MISSING on the third one (thrust lever not closed) . This can be annoying sometimes.

But otherwise imho the CS777 has reached a quite GOOD LEVEL now with V1.7 !  Smiley

Guy

IP Logged

Fly from Portland

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Thank you Guy. Hopefully the next and possibly last update will have it.

Marc&&Dell XPS 8300 AMD Radeon HD 6450&&Intel(R)Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU@2.90GHz&&6 GB 64 bit&&&&

IP Logged

guy

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 8:37am
Print Post  
The message "SPËEDBRAKE extended" appears now  on Eicas in the AIR if speedbrake extended and thrust levers not closed ! Smiley

One must apply the patch given on this page by Tanya:

http://www.captainsim.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1338411567/448#448

IP Logged

Fly from Portland

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Wonderful, i will implement this very soon. Still rebuilding FSX due to a hack, almost there. Thanks for the other post also.

IP Logged

Fly from Portland

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 4:35am
Print Post  
Now that those issues are resolved and working well, there is only one minor cosmetic left for me. The dome light in the -300 model doesn't dim. Any chance for a quick fix by a link for this. Cheesy

IP Logged

Fly from Portland

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Been using the speedbrake on descent when drag required. It has NOT been consistent in showing in EICAS. First time it is fine and alert goes off, next no message no alert, then it starts working again. Anybody else seeing this.  Huh

IP Logged

guy

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Fly from Portland wrote on Jul 11th, 2016 at 9:44pm:
Been using the speedbrake on descent when drag required. It has NOT been consistent in showing in EICAS. First time it is fine and alert goes off, next no message no alert, then it starts working again. Anybody else seeing this.  Huh

I have not seen this. I hope you realize  that the message comes NOT when you SET the speedbrake, but only when the speedbrake IS set AND the AP has to apply THRUST to hold the commanded speed (at level-off for example).  Smiley
Guy

IP Logged

Fly from Portland

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
When the FMC gives me the message drag is required that is when I apply the speedbrake. First time message is showing. Next time FMC gives me the message because speed is decreased, I again extend the speedbrake as required this time no message, no alert. Same situation as the first time, but no message of speedbrake extended.  I don't see a difference in this situation. Speed is reduced by FMC and drag is required in both situations, during descent. Thrust in these cases is too high and too fast, so thrust is being reduced.

IP Logged

guy

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
I cannot reproduce the problem you see.
I made all sort of experiments now during descent.
The MESSAGE+AURAL BEEP came up each time when they should, that is when Speedbrake extended and thrust not closed.

One thing must be said:
On the REAL 777 during normal VNAV descent Thrust is IDLE (where "Idle" is not really idle but a value computed by the FMC which varies with altitude  (N1=24-38))
So, when you set the speedbrake , the message does not come up immediatly, as thrust is idle, but only after speed reduction, when the Ap must apply more thrust to hold the commanded speed.
The Cs777 is not "realistic" here as during normal VNAV descent Thrust is NOT IDLE but about N1=50-70 (at a ROD of 1800 ft/min).
So when you set the speedbrake the message comes up immediatly as there is ALWAYS THRUST applied.

To test if with the CS777 the message comes up only if the 2 conditions are fulfilled(Speedbrake set and Thrust applied) I made a (very) late descent, starting the descent from 5000 feet above normal profile. In this case the CS777 reduces thrust to idle, and the message came well up only when more thrust was applied.

I use Fsx-Sp2 (without Accel)

That's all ! Smiley

IP Logged

Fly from Portland

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Ok, this was definitely my issue. Added new piece of hardware, a throttle quadrant and had not calibrated the spoiler axis correctly, am using it in conjunction with a joystick. Turned off the joystick spoiler buttons and now my speedbrakes are extending and retracting correctly now just using the throttle. Had a learning curve.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top