Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Windows 10 and FSX. What will happen? (Read 29112 times)
DetCord

Re: Windows 10 and FSX. What will happen?
Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Nick Cooper wrote on Aug 6th, 2015 at 9:55pm:
Possibly, but this

Quote:
If you get the Free Upgrade, you can't opt out of any service update, ever. That means if a update breaks something or you simply don't want it, you can't do anything about it. No rolling back. No uninstalling the update.

is simply wrong.
You can do all of these things

Wrong. Read the ToS. The only systems to receive that option are those running Enterprise or purchased the P-Ver, and that's covered under their LTSB clause in the license. Included in the Contract under Updates is the 'with your consent' nomenclature, referencing the forced update aspect. Your consent is already given when you checked the box and hit next.

Granted, you can set it to metered, but it is still going to actively attempt to DL updates, which includes a bunch of s%# you probably don't want. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/17/windows-10-forced-automatic-u...

IP Logged

Fly from Portland

Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 4:20am
Print Post  
I was able to roll back without an issue, just have Windows 7 Home. It is part of the install when updating to Windows 10. No special contracts or anything else.

Marc&&Dell XPS 8300 AMD Radeon HD 6450&&Intel(R)Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU@2.90GHz&&6 GB 64 bit&&&&

IP Logged

Nick Cooper

Reply #17 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Do you actually have Windows 10?

Quote:
That means if a update breaks something or you simply don't want it, you can't do anything about it.

Quote:
No rolling back

Quote:
No uninstalling the update

IP Logged

Fly from Portland

Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
I was on Windows 10 and rolled back to Windows 7. No issues, and no problems as you describe. Very easy. Grin

Marc&&Dell XPS 8300 AMD Radeon HD 6450&&Intel(R)Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU@2.90GHz&&6 GB 64 bit&&&&

IP Logged

DetCord

Reply #19 - Aug 30th, 2015 at 4:15am
Print Post  
You rolled back your install. You didn't roll back a update. Too little too late. You signed the contract.

The problem is that people read contracts the way they read books or any form of printed text. You can't do that. A Contract is literal. You cannot assume or interpret it according to your opinion. That’s the point of writing the contract: to rule away opinions about what are the rights and obligations. It does not say ONLY when necessary to provide you with the services you use.

Also, when it says This includes: the content..., the word includes is the key. Including something does not exclude any other thing. Yet, in case of doubt, the contract is explicit saying that any kind of data will be collected, for example we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content or files in private folders.

The wording files in your private folders mean any file in any private folder. Not ONLY files you upload to the cloud. Again the word including specifies a subset of your personal data, but does not restrict it to only your content or files in private folders.

Still in doubt? Read this clause: In addition to those you explicitly provide, […] may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect. It completely denies any voluntary choice you may have in what you provide. There is no restriction to other data we collect. Is not even restricted to collecting the data through Windows. Any way of collecting data about you, even illegal, is made legal, because it is you will, as stated in said contract, when it says that Microsoft collects data with your consent. It does NOT say that you need to give your consent each time your data is collected. It says that Microsoft activities have your consent. It is a FACT as stated in the contract. Microsoft does not need you to consent ever again.

We also obtain data from third parties (including other companies). ANY third party. Anybody. Spying on you is now legal by any means. Remember, Microsoft now has the right to grab any of your passwords: Credentials. We collect passwords, password hints, and similar security information. It collects passwords. Not ONLY the ones you MAY provide. Not ONLY the ones belonging to you. Not ONLY computer passwords. If somebody has a locker combination written in a piece of paper, and that paper can be read by a webcam, Microsoft has the right to collect it.

It Collects Credentials. ANY credentials. Your passport is fair game. Your fingerprints, your drivers license, the card you use to cross a door at work, the wireless key needed to open your car, your photo, a 3D scan of your face, your pupil patterns, the makeup of the bombs you dropped in the ######ter this morning; ANY credential as is stated. So yes, absolutely and undeniable: it EXPLICITLY GIVES MICROSOFT PERMISSION TO ARBITRARILY TAKE YOUR FILES. Your files is not restricted to any specific computer. Not even a computer. Even a paper file is included.

Also if you read the contract, take in consideration that any word or phrase written in Uppercase is ONLY as a label, and it does not mean anything in a contract, unless defined in the contract.
For example, the title: How We Use Personal Data has no legal effect. You can delete it and nothing changes, unless some other clause defines it, or references it by that exact title, with that exact uppercase format. You cannot argue to a judge that ONLY that clause describes how your data is used. You cannot argue that you were misdirected by that text, the same way you cannot argue that you didn’t read the small letter because…

Bing services are also included within other Microsoft services, such as MSN Apps and Cortana, and Windows (which we refer to as Bing-powered experiences). So, if yo do read Bing-powered, it means Windows. You may access Bing-powered experiences when using other non-Microsoft services, such as those from Yahoo. So if you use Linux or Macintosh, and you use Firefox, which defaults to yahoo search, and you do not change Yahoo search to another search engine, you sign the contract.

So, as you can see, a contract is full of bobby traps. You may think that it says something, but actually it says something else entirely. Only a lawyer versed in this arena is trained to fully understand contracts, and this one is a really Orwellian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLiozMpqV80&t=2m39s

Do what you want. I personally don't care. But perhaps, just maybe, you should.

IP Logged

Fly from Portland

Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2015 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
I will install it again as soon as it is compatible with my video card or if I have to install another video card.
Every time you install anything there is always the condition of "I ACCEPT" to almost anything on the web otherwise you would have no updates and no software. You want privacy stay off the grid, it unfortunately is the price we pay for being on it, or mostly not pay for free things. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

DetCord

Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2015 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Fly from Portland wrote on Aug 30th, 2015 at 1:29pm:
I will install it again as soon as it is compatible with my video card or if I have to install another video card.
Every time you install anything there is always the condition of "I ACCEPT" to almost anything on the web otherwise you would have no updates and no software. You want privacy stay off the grid, it unfortunately is the price we pay for being on it, or mostly not pay for free things. Roll Eyes

Now that is asinine.

It's one thing to have your Government do this. Most national security orgs have been doing it for a long time. However, it's something else entirely to have a private corporation do this. 

IP Logged

jetmech64

Reply #22 - Sep 22nd, 2015 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
I tried it 2 weeks ago. My FSX would shut down around the two hour mark. Not good on a cross country flight. I tried everything that I knew to remove all rest and sleep times, nothing helped. FSX also did not want to run in the full screen view which I had to keep switching back. Some of the FSX menu could not be seen in the reduced screen view. I rolled back to Windows 7 and happy again. Windows 10 is great if you like Apps.

IP Logged

DontSync

Reply #23 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I'm giving Win10 a year or two before I invest in it. I'd rather buy so when there's a problem, I can really stick it to support if I have an issue. But most of the time I figure out an OS so I end up fixing my own issues.  Roll Eyes However it's still too buggy for me to use for some of the other programs I have right now, still on Win7pro. I say if it's not broken, no need to fix.

Steam ID: CrookedKat

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #24 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 6:28am
Print Post  
I replaced Win8.1 Pro with Win10 Pro, but I haven't installed FSX or P3D in it yet.

As far as I can tell, you can opt out of the scary stuff that is a threat to our privacy, and I did them. Checking online, there are a lot of sites that can tell you what to do to turn that scary stuff off. Either during the installation, or after it has been installed.

I think I did something wrong during the upgrade, so I'm planing on reinstalling Win8 Pro (Win8.1 Pro was a free upgrade for Win8 Pro), then upgrading it to Win10 Pro using a "clean install" to make sure the partition doesn't end up like it is now. Sad

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

JetRanger

JETRANGER

Reply #25 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Nick Cooper wrote on Aug 1st, 2015 at 7:21pm:
I must say that this topic has more than its fair share of misinformation.
These are the bits that I know to be true.

Whether or not you can roll back drivers, disable Windows features etc depends not on whether you paid for it but on the version.
Which version you get depends on your version of Windows 7 or 8.
For example, Windows 7 Home premium entitles you to Windows 10 Home.
Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and so on.

As to privacy, Microsoft have one policy which can be viewed at their site.
It applies to all Windows versions.
If that is unacceptable to anyone, they need to look for a different OS provider altogether.
While I cannot see into the future, unlike some seem to be able to, Microsoft have said that there will be no charge for updates to Windows 10 even though for one year it is offered free of charge.

Windows 10 ships with Direct X 12 and for me it will run any software from Direct X 9 upwards.
This naturally includes FSX and FSX Steam in Direct X 9 and Direct X 10.
I don't have P3D.
I don't have anything left that needs Direct X 8 or lower.

@ Post#6
The larger FSX can easily be resolved by accessing the properties tag for all users of fsx.exe and ticking the "Disable display scaling  on high DPI settings" box.
Windows 10 did this for me.
While you're there, tick the "Run this program as an Administrator" too, then click on Apply.

Finally, I have it, everything that worked before works now, often a little better.

""Finally, I have it, everything that worked before works now, often a little better"" ?????????????????????

in Response to "Nick Cooper" post ?

Mr. Cooper, you say you have "everything" that worked before , works now.

What Exactly may that be, enlighten everybody here just exactly what "everything" is exactly.

Very "Vague" information you provided, please go into more Detail and enlighten us !!

YouTube  
IP Logged

Jim Kaye

Reply #26 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I am interested in knowing if Windows 10 will work on my system.  I am running fsx with Ultimate Traffic, Active Sky Next, and Plan-G.  Currently running under Windows 7 Home Premium, and this PC is totally dedicated to flight sim.  Just got everything running pretty well again after a recent hard drive crash.  Been hesitant to install the free Windows 10 upgrade, though it has been installed and is working fine on four other networked PCs.

Jim Kaye

[img]https://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/x777/x777_3.jpg[/img

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #27 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 2:59am
Print Post  
Why change when it's running well?

I have installed 10 on two laptops but only because I can't stand 8.

My desktop is staying on W7 ultimate for the foreseeable future, it's working really well and the best MS operating system since 2000.

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

Pinatubo

Reply #28 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 5:55am
Print Post  
My wife's PC and my laptop are running W10 and there is nothing to complain about. But my desktop is staying and will stay on W7, at least for some time more, based on what is known up to now.

My fleet (CS and from others developers):

L1011; B777-200/F; B777-200/F (LR); MD-11/F;B737-600/700/800/900NG; B767-300/200/F/KC ; B757-300/200/F ; C130 X-perience All-In-One; B707-300/300C; B727-100/200; B737-200/200ADV; WX Radar

IP Logged

Nick Cooper

Reply #29 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
JetRanger wrote on Nov 18th, 2015 at 11:23pm:

""Finally, I have it, everything that worked before works now, often a little better"" ????????????????????? 
in Response to "Nick Cooper" post ?
Mr. Cooper, you say you have "everything" that worked before , works now.
What Exactly may that be, enlighten everybody here just exactly what "everything" is exactly.
Very "Vague" information you provided, please go into more Detail and enlighten us !!

Sorry, no.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top