Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Rudder deflection (Read 6949 times)
tanomueller

Rudder deflection
Apr 15th, 2015 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Hi guys;

I'm encountering a weird rudder situation after 1.6 version.

On ground, I have a full and normal deflection of the rudder. But on flight, I almost can't see it is moving. To make turns is incredible long and slow.

Once again on ground, the rudder moves normally.

Am I forgeting something?

Is there any issue on my system?

Or "it is as it should be"?

Great update, by the way. Thank you.

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Rudder deflection
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Are you turning the YAW DAMPER SWITCH ON (overhead panel)?

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

tanomueller

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Hi Markoz;

I thought about it last night, but I didn't check.

I "believe" yes, it's almost an automatic action to turn on the yaw damper.

But maybe just when I noted this, it was off. I will check today and post here. What I noted too is that on ground, the rudder seems to have "parkinson's disease", with little and fast movements to left/right.

Thank you for your help. I will check later and tell you.

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

IP Logged

tanomueller

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Hi Markoz;

I checked at home and the situation is this:

with yaw damper ON - in flight, small movement of the rudder. To you have an idea, in level flight, if I apply FULL rudder left or right, you almost can't see the nose going left/right. The rudder ball moves a tiny to left or right. On ground, the rudder moves left/right quickly.

with yaw damper OFF - in flight, large deflection of the rudder (similar to NGX, for example). On ground, the rudder is steady.

Maybe this is how the 737-100-200 is. And I'm thinking wrong.

I made this video to you see, at ground, what I'm finding. When the yaw damper is on, at external view, I'm applying full rudder left and right.

https://youtu.be/y_4D4LKFUss

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 2:32am
Print Post  
The rudder movement in your video is different to mine in that you can move yours further with the YAW DAMPER on than I can.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

tanomueller

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Markoz,

I'm having more rudder movement with YD off, not on. Even with it on, my deflection is further than yours??

Take a look at this video, please:

http://youtu.be/W0pu730QGn4

This is what happen in flight. I'm thinking to do a reinstall. Or what I'm seeing here is normal?

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm having more rudder movement with YD off, not on.

It's the same for me.

Quote:
Even with it on, my deflection is further than yours??

Yes. Mine moves less than what yours did in the video.

As far as I can tell, the Yaw Damper is working like it should. How close to the real 737-200 it is, I don't know.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

ftwd

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 4:30am
Print Post  
I'm sure it's doing exactly as its meant to do within the limitations of FSX. The reason it would give better deflection on the ground is so you can taxi using rudder peddles.

Cristiano, the idea of the Yaw damper is to reduce the amount of Yaw (left to right movement of the nose/tail) on the aircraft. It stops the plane from behaving like a dog wagging its tail and therefore making everyone inside pretty sick. In FSX, the yaw damper works by limiting the amount of rudder movement rather than applying an opposite rudder input to yaw on the real aircraft.

In short, yes the 737 is doing exactly what it should. Very small yaw movements with the YD on and the full range of rudder movements with the YD off.

Markoz, I wonder if the difference in movement could be caused by different rudder calibrations between your and Cristiano's sims?

Cheers, Nathan

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 5:26am
Print Post  
ftwd wrote on Apr 23rd, 2015 at 4:30am:
Markoz, I wonder if the difference in movement could be caused by different rudder calibrations between your and Cristiano's sims?

I think that the amount of deflection we see IS because of the different calibrations to the flight controller. I do not have rudder pedals, only a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. It's cheap, but good.

One day, I hope to get another Yoke. My CH Yoke was broken by some mischievous children that were visiting me a few years ago. I could not bear to burden my long time friend with the cost of replacing it. Now I hide my good stuff so they can't break them, but leave some crappy old ones for them to use. Call me mean! Cheesy Grin

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

tanomueller

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Nathan and Markoz;

first of all, thank you for your clarifications.

I have a Logitech Momo Racing Wheel, and I use its pedals for rudder pedal. Yes, it could be the difference.

About the rudder deflection with/without Yaw Damper, if it is right, this topic is closed for me.

I only asked about this because I had "the feeling" to have more rudder deflection with 1.0 version (but like I said, maybe I'm wrong) and if I compare it with CS 727 and another company NGX (I know, 727 is another airplane, and another company is another developer) I have more rudder with them.

I did not think something was wrong with the 737, but with my setup.

Once again, thank you guys.

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

IP Logged

mickey123

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 1:44am
Print Post  
And what about the rudder on the ground?

The situation is:
737 stands on the ground. Yaw damper switch is ON. -> The rudder flutters like a mad fishtail. (As it nicely can be seen in tanomueller's video above.)

What is Captain Sim's standpoint concerning this issue?

IP Logged

ftwd

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Mickey, just a quick question, do you use rudder peddles? What is your "Null Zone" setting if you do use them? If the aircraft is receiving "spike" information from one of the peripherals, then the Yaw damper will try and respond by putting in an opposite rudder movement. This could result in the fluttering some people are seeing.

Cheers

Nathan

IP Logged

mickey123

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Hi Nathan,

I use Logitech extreme 3D joystick with a little rudder null zone. I have just tried to increase the null zone (even to the max null zone), but the fluttering movements remained. I didn't noticed such thing in the previous version of the 737 by the way.

Mickey

IP Logged

tanomueller

Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Just to add information here, I tested with almost 50% of "null zone" in my rudder pedals, and the fluttering remained.

And I'm flying with Yaw Damper off, because if I start a curve with it on, man, the curve becomes with a huge radius.

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top