Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Low Speed Handling (Read 2898 times)
FabioL

Low Speed Handling
Feb 7th, 2015 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Hi,
Has anyone else noticed erratic slow speed handling?
The aircraft seems to fishtail about the normal axis, it seems to lose / gain altitude, and speed management can be erratic.
I find this happens at lower speeds, for instance shortly after takeoff and just before landing when between 180-220 kts, slats and flaps as required (i.e. 180 kts flaps 5 last few turns before finals).
It's as if the aircraft was in turbulent air.
If anyone has any thoughts about this, then let me know.
Thanks,
Fabio

Captain Sim C-130, 727, 737, 757, 767, 777, L1011, CS WX Radar & CS Weapon

IP Logged

fuzzy11

Re: Low Speed Handling
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I had this one time on I think it was on approach.  I think it was the FMC telling auto throttles to be in approach mode making the aircraft incredibly slow.  I tried dumping fuel, but didn't have the time to verify it was working or not, as I just wanted to keep the aircraft from stalling.

I'm somewhat of a hack while flying, so probably I was doing something wrong.

IP Logged

fuzzy11

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I was in 777-200ER and had this happen again when going from RJAA to PANC.  On approach I selected flaps 25, which worked out to 145 knots in FMC.  A few miles from approach intercept at about 200 knots (I had been using FLCH), the second I hit app mode, the speed proceeded to go past 145 and then the aircraft started it's tell tale wobble from side to side and then eventually started going to down vertically in  pitch up mode.  I hit the disconnect button and put throttles to firewall, but of course I forgot to turn off AT fast enough.  Due to low altitude, I ended up hitting the water and bouncing back up to 3,000.

The aircraft had about 40,000 pounds of fuel left and full compliment of pax and cargo.  I don't remember what the weight that worked out to.

IP Logged

fuzzy11

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
I think I see the problem...go into the CDU, click on LEGS.  On the right half of the CDU is the miles to next waypoint, then underneath is a three digit number with a slash (/) then another number.  These two numbers are speed and altitude to cross that waypoint at.  I was showing 145/1700.  Maybe I was too heavy (still had 60,000 pounds of fuel left) at that point, so stall speed was right there. 

The best thing to do is select the approach, check it (speeds and altitude).  145 is incredibly slow for an air traffic controller (and obviously near stall speed for this aircraft), I'm thinking 180 or better  as you turn final (as long as you don't have a close turn on final like JFK 13R) would be best for them and you.

I just remembered, I am still on the CS AIRAC, I wonder if a newer one would be better?

IP Logged

Fly from Portland

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
I'm over on the FSX forum but I have this issue too.
Trying to land at KJFK runway 04L or 04R using Roberts, model heads up and stall on final turn approach. Tried a longer approach using different STAR and it landed ok. Will have a try a higher speed approach next time but it is such a short final I just don't know if it will work. Roll Eyes

Update, it did work but I also hit the loc going away from runway 04R and the plane turned towards 04L, mostly likely unrealistic but it landed. Hitting the approach after the turn did not work because I was too far from the runway to capture the localizer, so go figure. Grin

Marc&&Dell XPS 8300 AMD Radeon HD 6450&&Intel(R)Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU@2.90GHz&&6 GB 64 bit&&&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top