Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
767 Captain autopilot altitude hold fails (Read 8410 times)
PikalaxALT

767 Captain autopilot altitude hold fails
Feb 22nd, 2014 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I have experienced problems with the altitude hold function of the autopilot on a recent flight.  This problem also exists in the VNAV function.  When the aircraft reaches the selected altitude, it first overshoots the altitude, then descends uncontrolled.  On rare instances, it could climb itself at 40 degrees of pitch and enter a serious stall.  This might be connected to disagreement between the stab trim display and FS tooltip, with the autopilot and flight model each using a different setting.  As a result, the 767 Captain can only be flown manually, making it very difficult to handle on flights longer than 60 minutes.  It's a shame, really.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: 767 Captain autopilot altitude hold fails
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 2:11am
Print Post  
When setting up a flight, I set the CG to 30% in the FMC and I do not change the Trim setting from it's default setting (4 on the Elevator (Pitch) Trim & Position Indicator (-0.0o)). Once the Autopilot is on, it takes control of the trim and it works fine for me.

When I have had the problem you speak of, it has only happened a few times, I have done a reinstall of the 767 Base Pack (using the repair option) and it works fine again for me. Undecided

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

lolo45

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
hi all like i'm new and can't post new thread ...

i have prob with the route data on the fmc, i configure all the init page but currently i do a flight between KATL and SVMI and times done on route data are wrong , it's 1502z time and it say i arrive in SVMI at 1516z but i've just begun the flight?

i have the same thing with the 757 but last flight i've done with it (a transatlantic flight) all was ok !?

any idea?

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2014 at 2:19am
Print Post  
The Captain Sim 767 (and 757) are not very good at predicting the arrival times in their current versions (they did used to be pretty good).

But on the other hand, when the arrival time at each waypoint is the same, it usually means that the T/D has not been calculated, or the final waypoints (STAR/TRANS) is missing. I have done a couple of topics to cover way around these two problems:

Fix for missing T/D in CDU/FMS

Fix for missing end of route

You can check them out to see if they help.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

lolo45

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2014 at 3:15am
Print Post  
thanks for the quick reply markoz
i've checked the TOD problem and i will try this in my return flight.

it's the only black point on the product use for the moment, all the rest is excellent!
handling, t/o ,sid , star , approach and landing are really perfect  Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2014 at 1:54am
Print Post  
The 767 is my favourite FMC aircraft, especially the 767-200. Grin.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

PikalaxALT

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2014 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Well, I just reinstalled the 767 and took it for a 1-hour test flight from Sydney to Melbourne without my joystick, and it cruised along at FL360 with no problems.  It did shake a bit during the climb, but I'll attribute that to turbulence from ActiveSky.  However, I did notice a few problems, particularly on the arrival.

1) I could not get the software to apend the STAR (LIZZI 7A ILS-Y 16) to the route after ML (I would copy LIZZI over to where it appears on the airway after inserting the STAR, as I do on another company aircraft).  I eventually had to manually program the waypoints.  By setting the altitude restrictions as published, I was able to create the T/D (which was not present on departure), and VNAV took me down as expected.

2) When it came time to intercept the ILS, the aircraft completely missed the glide slope.  I had to do a FL/CH just to get me down low enough to capture it from above.  Once established, the aircraft could not seem to maintain the approach course and slope, with wild deflections both vertical and lateral, even though it was on all three autopilots and LAND3 was armed.  Since I did not have my joystick (it's coming Tuesday, just in time for CTP Tongue), I pretty much relied on autoland to take me down - which it did, but poorly.  It might be a result of my system's piss-poor graphics handling (<15 fps in the default trike with default scenery), but the fact that other payware aircraft (another company, Airbus X, and another company E-Jets) perform auto-landings flawlessly makes me believe it's a fault of the CS aircraft itself.

3) The FS Tooltip On Stab Trim bug persists.  When I set my trim to 1.3 at the start of the flight, the tooltip registered -7.2, the STAB TRIM light on the overhead was illuminated until I engaged the left autopilot, and the TO CONFIG WARNING HORN sounded as I advanced the throttles for departure with the message STAB TRIM.  This problem applies to all CS aircraft I own or have owned (757, 767, and 777).  It may be related to the fact that my OS is Win7x64SP1.  I'd appreciate any help in fixing this problem once and for all.  I really don't want to give in and leave the trim at its default value as Markoz suggests.

4) At this point, I'm nitpicking, but I'd really like it if the dials worked as expected.  On other aircraft I'm able to operate the dials using my mouse wheel.  When I roll my wheel up, the dials turn clockwise, and vice versa.  This allows me to quickly set altitudes, headings, speeds, frequencies, etc.  On the 767 and others by CS, the mouse wheel only turns dials in one direction: counterclockwise.  And once they start, they're hard to stop.  The only way to reliably set the MCP is by clicking and holding as the altitude bug slowly climbs from 5000 all the way up to 36000, 100 feet at a time.  I really wish CS would fix this, as it has been bothering me for over a year now, same as the tooltip bug (#3).

If this post is better placed in its own thread, please let me know.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2014 at 2:10am
Print Post  
1) Yes. And that is where my "fixes" come into play. Wink

2) On a few occasions, I have had to turn VNAV OFF to get low enough to capture the Glideslope, but I never use FLCH, only VS (my preference).
Are you using ActiveSky Next? I had to turn the turbulence right down to prevent it from throwing my payware addons with complex systems (i.e. FMC) all over the place during all phases of the flight. But even with a strong crosswind, one time it was 63knots (well above the 767's limit), it still held the ILS and Glideslope, and landed very close to the centreline of the runway. I just wanted to see how it would perform in that strong crosswind. The wind changed to a headwind of about 20 knots approximately 100 feet above the runway. So even that didn't throw it off it's alignment. Also. Coming into Melbourne, when using Orbx - AU YMML v2 (note that I also have ORBX -AU YMEN, AU YMAV and AU YMMB, which are all in close proximity to YMML), I have had the framerates drop as low as 8fps, but that doesn't prevent the 767 (or 757) from holding the ILS and Glideslope.

3) The ToolTip on the Stab Trim Indicator does match the actual position of the white bar against the numbers, so don't use the ToolTip as the guide, use the white bar and numbers. For taking off in the CS 767, I never move it from it's default position (4.00), and it's climb performance is fine. But I also always use 30% for the CG setting. In the latest version of the CS 757 (v4.6), I do set the Stab Trim Indicator to the recommended setting shown on the TAKEOFF REF page in the FMC, but again, I always use 30% for the CG setting!

4) I agree. It would be great if the mouse wheel worked in both direction and it didn't runaway on you, but thy are easy to stop, just right or left mouse click on them. And it would also be nice if the Altitude Indicator moved a bit faster than it does. Grin

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top