Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Engines Quit When Coming Out of Reverse (Read 9754 times)
dave483

Engines Quit When Coming Out of Reverse
May 3rd, 2013 at 12:26am
Print Post  
I cannot seem to locate any rhyme or reason in the forum for why the engines quit after using reverse on touch down?  I have to go thru a complete re-start procedure.  Any Ideas? Got plenty of fuel and the crossovers are open???? Thanks - Dave

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Engines Quit When Coming Out of Reverse
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2013 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Does it happen every time? I'm pretty sure I've had it happen occasionally, but certainly not every time.

I often use the reverse thrust to back the C-130 out of a Parking/Cargo Ramp, but it never shuts the engines down.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Don-P1126

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2013 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Are you using F2 Throttle Decrease (Reverse Thrust (turboprops/jets) or are you pulling the handles to the right of the throttle quadrant? (Condition Levers).    The Condition levers will shut the engines off.

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2013 at 1:00am
Print Post  
I have been experiencing the same thing.  I never had this happen on an older computer that failed around February.  I replaced it with a new Dell XPS and installed all my previous programs including FSX and its addons.  On this new computer the shutdowns occured after every C-130 landing.  Today I repeatedly experimented with reversing while on a runway using a Saitek Aviator joystick programed to use one of the switches for the F2 (fast throttle reduction) command (the same set up I have used for 4  years).  Only the throttles moved, never the condition levers. I have used this  set up since activiating the new computer,  on other CS products and other addons for reverse thrust with no problem. Today the C-130 seemed to responded correctly to repeatedly reversing on the ground.  I stopped the reverse movements by momentarily advancing the throttles bringing the engines out of reverse and the engines continued running.  I then performed multiple approaches and landings using reverse (activated by a switch on the joystick, not F2, but programmed to perform the F2 function) after touch down and the engines shut down every time.  I'm baffled and cannot find the variable that results in the shut downs.  The only obvious difference between the old computer and the new one is the old one had Windows XP while the new one has Windows 7.  I'm running FSX with Acceleration, just as I did on the old computer.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2013 at 3:40am
Print Post  
I did a flight yesterday, and after using returning the throttle levers to IDLE, after using the reversers upon landing, my right engines shut down! Left engines remained running. Weird! I used full reverse thrust for that flight. I usually only use about 50% - 75% of reverse thrust.

It must be a bug. Sad

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2013 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Two days ago I made 6 short field landings using a technique of going to full reverse upon touchdown using a joystick throttle and when speed on the runway reduced to taxi speed I advanced the throttle to flight idle, let the engines stabilize and then retarded the throttles to ground idle.  On 5 out of 6 landings I was able to keep all the engines running with this technique.  Yesterday I did a series of 5 short field landings using the same technique.  On 3 of the landings all the engines shut down, on one the #4 engine shut down, the others  kept running, and only one landing had all 4 engines running after my technique.  Thought I had a work-around to the glitch, but it wasn't to be.

IP Logged

Don-P1126

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2013 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
I guess I am not sure why it would be doing this for you.   I have logged over 400 flight hours doing tactical/assault type landings in a VSOA and never once had the engines shutdown after reverse.   Could be how the throttles are set up.

I use two saitek throttle quadrants with J2 as Engine1, J3 as Engine 2, J4 as Engine3 and J5 as engine4.  J1 is set up as spoilers (or as in the C-130 air deflector doors).   J6 is set up as Flaps lever.   I use a CH throttle quadrant as my condition levers and switches 2-5 (UP) as fuel cutoff.    

I set up FSUIPC to when in reverse detent it will use the "Buttons + Switches"  Put Engine 1 in reverse and under right side...
Throttle 1 Decr have the control to repeart while held checked and Throttle 1 Cut when sent when button relased and repeat for other 3.

IP Logged

Don-P1126

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2013 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
IF the condition levers move anywhere towards the rear at all Ground stop will happen.

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2013 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Hi Don-P1126,
Thanks for relating your successes and techniques.  I use 2 Saitek Aviator joysticks, each programmed to different functions.  I recalibrated both of them but that didn't help, I still get the random shutdowns of 1 or more engines.  I hadn't thought about FSUIPC being involved.  Using an earlier version of it I never had the shutdown problem with the C-130, now with a newer version I do have the problem, I'll look into that.  And no, the condition levers have never moved, so that's not the solution.

IP Logged

Nick Cooper

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2013 at 10:35am
Print Post  
If it's any help, I had the same problem.
I used the F2 key to apply reverse thrust and the F1 key to cancel it.
Each time, all four engines stopped.

However, I found that if I use the F2 key to apply the reverse thrust but
use just a very small amount of throttle to cancel it, reverse thrust is cancelled but the engines do not stop.

I don't have any fancy hardware, just a keyboard and a venerable Microsoft Sidewinder precision pro that has seen better days.

Regards,
Nick

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2013 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Nick Cooper wrote on May 24th, 2013 at 10:35am:
However, I found that if I use the F2 key to apply the reverse thrust but
use just a very small amount of throttle to cancel it, reverse thrust is cancelled but the engines do not stop.

I don't have any fancy hardware, just a keyboard and a venerable Microsoft Sidewinder precision pro that has seen better days.
Me too on all counts.
Except that I have an MS Sidewinder FF2 that has seen better days, but still works quite well. Grin

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Fabriziooo

Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
i have the same problem sometimes Undecided

IP Logged

VeryBumpy

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Same here. I thought I did something wrong or somehow exactly ran out of fuel when stopping. Does not happen all the time. Strange issue.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top