Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Engine sound/startup issues (Read 10679 times)
pdonnelly

Engine sound/startup issues
Nov 12th, 2012 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Greetings,

I am aware that this is not a technical support forum, but having tried the actual technical support and having (rather frustratingly) been told that the issue exists in the knowledge base (it doesn't, as far as I can see) I'm appealing to the seemingly helpful community here.

I have thoroughly searched the knowledge base, these forums and Google for a solution.  I have seen two other people experiencing the same problem but a fix has not been found.

I have C-130 version 1.3, running on FSX SP2 with Acceleration, Win 7 64.  I load up the default Cessna, pull out the mixture until the engine stops, turn off the avionics and the battery and set the magnetos to off.  I then load the C-130.

I cycle through all views, VC, panels and exterior.  I set the brake select switch to emergency, anti-skid to off, temp datum control switches to auto, then condition levers to ground stop.

At this point, the engine starts.  Sometimes I just get the engine start noise without the prop animation, other times I get both.  

I have re-downloaded and re-installed the software once already to no avail.  I have also placed the msvcr71.dll file in System32 as that was the suggestion for the closest problem I could find in the knowledge base.

If anyone in the community has experienced similar issues or knows of a workaround, I'd love to hear from you.  

Many thanks.

IP Logged

flibinite

Re: Engine sound/startup issues
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 2:28am
Print Post  
I haven't had your problem, but here's my startup sequence.  I have the Cessna set up as my default flight.  When I set the default up, I simply killed the engine with Ctrl-Shft-F1 and turned off the lights and the battery like you.

So this seems to be one difference - your startup flight appears to have the Cessna's engine running, while mine does not.

Then, when I load the CS130, I find the cockpit cold & dark - all switches off, and what caught my eye on your post was that I don't have to touch the condition levers - they are already at stop.  So perhaps try another Cessna default - maybe don't turn off the magnetos this time, just to see what happens?

Another option - can you get the C130 fully running - then shut it down completely - and save that as a C130 cold & dark startup flight?

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Hi pdonnelly.

First. Start FSX, once in the Start Screen, select the default C172 (do not select the G1000 model), click on FLY NOW. Shut the C172 down.

Mixture Lever to CUT (0%).
Master Battery Switch OFF
Avionics Master Switch ON - it's best to leave this ON, not OFF
All light switches OFF.

This gives you a Cold-n-Dark setting, but with the avionics ON. Once you have done that, save the flight (it's up to you if you checkmark (tick) the box beside Make this the default flight). I have made it my default FSX flight.

Then load one of the CS C-130 X-perience C-130's. Then do the following to start the engines:

Using the 2D OH Panel 1 (Upper) and 2D Throttle Quadrant Panel only.

Battery - TO ISOLATED DC BUS
SimIcon Panel (SHIFT+2) - Press E to give you External Power
EXT AC PWR - ON
Co-Pilots AC Instruments - ESSENTIAL AC BUS
AC INST & FVM CONT - ESSENTIAL AC BUS
Engine Bleed Air Valves #1, #2, #3 & #4 - OPEN
Engine #3 Condition Lever - AIR START (returns to RUN position when released)
Engine Ground Start Button #3 - *PRESS and release.
After engine #3 starts
Generator Selector Switch #3 - OPEN/ON
Engine #4 Condition Lever - AIR START (returns to RUN position when released)
Engine Ground Start Button #4 - *PRESS and release
After engine #4 starts
Generator Selector Switch #4 - OPEN/ON
Engine #1 Condition Lever - AIR START (returns to RUN position when released)
Engine Ground Start Button #1 - *PRESS and release
After engine #1 starts
Generator Selector Switch #1 - OPEN/ON
Engine #2 Condition Lever - AIR START (returns to RUN position when released)
Engine Ground Start Button #2 - *PRESS and release
After engine #2 starts
Generator Selector Switch #2 - OPEN/ON

* Sometimes the button gets stuck, so you need to click on it again to release it.

See if that gets them started.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

pdonnelly

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,

Firstly, thank you both for your responses.

flibinite - I tried your suggestion, getting the C130 fully running, then shutting it down.  However, once again, when I put the engine condition levers into 'ground stop' to kill the fuel flow, the sound file for the engine's spooling up starts to play on a loop again (even though the propellers stop turning!)

Markoz - Thank you for those steps.  I got the engines running up nicely, although the engine sound started as soon as I put the condition levers into AIR START, BEFORE I had pressed the actual start button.  I also tried your suggestion about leaving the master avionics switch on.  It didn't make a difference, I'm sorry to say.

Thank you for your suggestions though. Smiley

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 2:19am
Print Post  
I noticed that sometimes, just moving the levers to Air Start, that the engines start too. It doesn't always do that for me, so I have o use the method I described. I did do an Engine Start guide for using the Gas Turbine Compressor, but I'm not sure which Topic is was that I did it.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

flibinite

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 2:38am
Print Post  
pdonnelly - are you using the mouse to pull the condition levers to stop? What is you use the FSX keystroke combination, is it Ctrl-F1?  Does that make a difference?  Or, Ctrl-Shft-F1 for a shutdown?

IP Logged

pdonnelly

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Hi folks.

It's been a while since I last posted because I pretty much shelved my C-130 after being unable to resolve the problem.  After a couple of reinstallations of both Windows and FSX I decided to give it another whirl.  Everything was going fine until I started trying to do things in the 2D panel instead of the VC.

This time, I've made a video of what is happening.  Unfortunately, I can't post it as I only have a post-count of 3 (including this one) and I refuse to spam the forums simply to drive that count up.  If anyone would like to see the video, PM me and I'll see if I can send you the link through that route.

Happy new year.

IP Logged

pdonnelly

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Hilariously, I can only send PM's after a post count of ten too. Tongue

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Enter the link to the video in your post, it may not be able to have a hyperlink, so it can't be clicked on to open, but we will be able to copy and paste it into the browser address bar so we can be view it.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

pdonnelly

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
YouTube + watch?v=aL9fG_TyqwQ&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Here is you video for others to see:

When I move the condition levers, I only move them to the AIR START position (UP) prior to starting the engines. After that, I leave them alone until I pull them all the way back to shut the engines down.
With the C-130X, you don't need to use the condition levers at any other time.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

pdonnelly

Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Mark.   Smiley

IP Logged

VeryBumpy

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
There are definitely some bugs in the aircraft. Is there a running list anywhere?

I also question if the aircraft does not function properly due to Captain Sim's theft protection with a bad install. That has happened to me more than once and is highly annoying because there are zero signs to tell you if it is just a bug or if it its a corrupt/bad theft protection install.

IP Logged

Steffen

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 9:21am
Print Post  
I observe the same problem but I use the following way for cold&dark panel state.
After starting the computer freshly I start FSX and load one of the C130; All engines are running.
I shut down engines by typing strng+shift+F!.
Sett ale generators,essential AC Co-Pilot and Instr OFF
DC Power Battery.
Now you are in cold&dark state and condition leavers in run position
Follow a check list; If all Boost pums on, ground speed low botton down , Bleed air valves open, engines starts after condition leaver to air start and pushing engine ground start

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top