Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 130 Send TopicPrint
 25 Lou - STORIES (Read 912486 times)
JayG

Re: Lou - STORIES
Reply #210 - May 31st, 2011 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
"I wish there was a really good add-on that would show a good simulation of heavy rain, skud, low clouds and gusty winds.
The weather simulation of clouds and rain in FSX is pretty poor."

Lou, I dont know if you have tried it yet, but there is a free (at least for now) program that does a pretty good job with winds, clouds, etc....

I have Active Sky too but this one is pretty impressive...FXrealWX

http://www.rs-transline.de/index.php?page=self&id=2#

Flight Lead: "Bandits at 3 oclock!!!"&&Wingman: "It's only 2:30 now, what do we do til then?"

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #211 - May 31st, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
JayG wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 3:40pm:
"I wish there was a really good add-on that would show a good simulation of heavy rain, skud, low clouds and gusty winds.
The weather simulation of clouds and rain in FSX is pretty poor."

Lou, I dont know if you have tried it yet, but there is a free (at least for now) program that does a pretty good job with winds, clouds, etc....

I have Active Sky too but this one is pretty impressive...FXrealWX

http://www.rs-transline.de/index.php?page=self&id=2#

Does that intergrate with Active Sky Evolution or does it stand alone? Does it feed the current METAR to ATIS and is ATIS correct? Right now with ASE in the DWC mode a lot of info in ATIS is coming from where the plane is located. At 60-70 miles from the airport ATIS is being feed info like 270at55, Temp -43, dewpoint -48 and so on. ATIS and ASE don't agree until the plane is on the ground.

Thank you
Michael Cubine

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

JayG

Reply #212 - May 31st, 2011 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
It's stand alone. As far as features, install it and take a look, it's free.

Flight Lead: "Bandits at 3 oclock!!!"&&Wingman: "It's only 2:30 now, what do we do til then?"

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #213 - May 31st, 2011 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
JayG

Thanks for the information.

Michael Cubine

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #214 - May 31st, 2011 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6619/microburstnasa.jpg

The above drawing shows a good view of what the down burst looks like. The down burst is caused by the collapse of the updraft part of the cell. The storm can no longer keep the column of air rising and as the air begins to fall the rain cooling speeds the descent of the air mass. Down bursts are generally of short duration, but super cells can produce fairly large down bursts of several minutes. As you see in the drawing the column hits the ground and spreads out in all directions. If the down burst is right over the approach end of the runway this spells the worst for the approaching plane. As the plane flies inbound on the ILS, the pilot firsts sees an increase in airspeed with a ballooning upward. The pilot adjusts pitch to control the climb and pulls back on the thrust. As the plane nears the approach end of the runway it enters the area of the shear with the vertical component. The aircraft now begins a rapid sink rate and looses the head wind. If the pilot makes it past that, he encounters the loss shear part of the down burst and unless the plane can power out of the shear it will impact the ground.

Delta 191, a Lockheed L-1011 had just such a down burst landing in KDAL several decades ago. Eastern Airlines also lost a 727 landing KJFK runway 22L during a similar event.

Thunderstorms in the eastern part of the U.S. generally have low ceilings and poor visibility, whereas storms in the west have high base cells with more visibility. Don't confuse Virga with a down burst. Virga is a form of precipitation that evaporates before it hits the ground. Low humidity and high temperatures can cause rain to evaporate completely shortly after its release from a cloud. Desert areas often have clouds showing virga. In fact, the precipitation often starts out in the form of ice crystals and never reaches the ground.

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #215 - May 31st, 2011 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
JayG,

I tried to look at the FXrealWX, but found no examples of screenshots. I don't want a web up-dater for current weather, rather a really good simulation of low clouds and poor visibility + scud.

FSX weather is pretty bad when it comes to the low vis area and I don't see anything in the REX stuff for low vis and clouds and rain that looks anything like the real thing.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

JayG

Reply #216 - May 31st, 2011 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Lou, using FSreal I have made quite a few approaches when the RW weather was under 200 and 1/4 and I couldnt see the runway until I was almost on it. You milage may vary but on my system it's pretty accurate.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #217 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 12:51am
Print Post  
JayG said: Lou, using FSreal I have made quite a few approaches
when the RW weather was under 200 and 1/4 and
I couldnt see the runway until I was almost on it.
You milage may vary but on my system it's pretty accurate.

Jay, I don't have a problem with setting the FSX vis to1/4 mile and shooting an approach.
But when you want to fly around the FTX PNW the clouds in FSX are bad.

This is what low clouds and scud should look like.
I have yet to see any add-on that makes good low clouds.
Sure the big cumulus and cirrus clouds in FSX or REX look fine, but the low stuff like scud don't exist.
I have a pretty stout system and have the weather slider full right, and my mileage is very good!

Still looking for a good weather generator... Sad

Lou

IP Logged

JayG

Reply #218 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 3:52am
Print Post  
darn Lou! Now I need to go get the 172 out! Only problem is, I'm in S Florida and theres nothing to look at, let alone like you pic. Reminds me of flying in the NE, I got my ticket in Maine, we know scud!  Smiley

You are right, there is nothing for FSX that will ever look that good, darn it, but tks for the pic.

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #219 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Lou wrote in part yestersday
Delta 191, a Lockheed L-1011 had just such a down burst landing in KDAL several decades ago. Eastern Airlines also lost a 727 landing KJFK runway 22L during a similar event.

Lou

Did you ever notice my displayed name. The accident occurred at KDFW not KDAL

Michael Cubine

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #220 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Nice picture indeed and thanks for the explanation, Lou.
How can pilots train to get aware and act timely and correct when approaching such conditions like the microburst?

You've pointed out the first signs, like the increase in speed and lift, is that the last stage where the people in the cockpit can actually do something to influence their fate?
Talking about seconds there, so no big room for discussing further measures. Will the windshear warning and weather radar help them?

And Jay's tip about that other weather program is indeed a nice one. That thing does nice weather so far, similar to my fancy and expensive payware while of course still lacking features to enable a "real weather" in FSX.
But that may well be limited by the FSX weather engine itself, not by the programs, already trying to work around some limitations there.
I've donated over at their site, because the current version really does what it should while not eating any huge resources.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #221 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
DAL191 - My bad, of course it was KDFW, landing south. I remember seeing the tail section sitting just short of the runway. I must have been looking at your name tag when my fingers did the walking.

Yes indeed, the Delta 191 crash was used by all the airlines as a training aid for recognizing the down burst. I remember flying that profile many times in the simulator when I was instructing. As CoolP asked: is that the last stage where the people in the cockpit can actually do something to influence their fate? [ ]  Will the windshear warning and weather radar help them?

CS does have a simulation of the increase shear as well as the other GPWS warnings. The GPWS computer was upgraded after this crash to give the pilot a hint of what could be happening with the plane. An increase shear gives a amber warning with the word WINDSHEAR. The GPWS has had many improvements over the years to make it a better tool. Doppler radar in the newer planes also has a warning built in for wind shear using magenta to alert the pilot.

As for the question - when was it too late to go around... we will never know. There are so many things that would have to be taken into account. One of the things we used to teach was to make use of altitude and go around as soon as possible before you got too low and too slow. If you did find yourself in the thick of it, use FULL power and rotate as necessary to avoid hitting the ground - I doubt Airbus would let you over rotate! Remember, stick shaker is 30% above stall, so you still have a great deal of energy to use to get away. FULL power means everything - including packs off.

Remember you only need as much altitude as you need.

Every foot counts!

Lou

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #222 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Lou

Delta's policy on this type of situation prior to the crash was to stablize the plane and continue the approach and landing. After the crash and investigation the policy was to stablize the plane and get out of there. Try another runway or alternate or wait for the storm to pass. I believe that as part of the NTSB investigation there were about 10 flighdeck crews in simulators that were unaware of what conditions they about to fly into. All of them lost control and crashed.

Michael Cubine

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #223 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Praise the inventors of flight simulators, huh?
I think that this is another example of "learning the hard way" when it comes to procedures being taught before and after an incident. Aviation history is so full of these things.  Undecided

I wonder how even a trained pilot feels when he's flying out of anything with the stick shaker active (not because of malfunction but because of measurements). Not talking about a simulator situation there.
Lou, did you get some response from guys explaining how they felt in this or that "close" rw situation?
Did some of them thank you for training them?

And don't forget to keep your passengers informed about all things happening.
Quote:
A plane was taking off from New York Airport. After it reached a cruising altitude, the captain made an announcement over the intercom, “Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. Welcome to Flight Number 123, non-stop from New York to Los Angeles. The weather ahead is good and, therefore, we should have smooth and uneventful flight. Now sit back and relax – OH, MY GOD!”

Silence followed and after a few minutes, the captain came back on the intercom and said, “Ladies and Gentlemen I am so sorry if I scared you earlier; but, while I was talking, the flight attendant brought me a cup of coffee and spilled the hot coffee in my lap.
You should see the front of my pants!” A passenger in Economy said, That’s nothing. He should see the back of mine!”

Praise my current postcount. What a number, huh?

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #224 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
CoolP, as Michael said many of the pilots of that day were unaware of the danger posed by these down burst events. The NWS made great strides during the 60's and 70's trying to understand the danger of these powerful shears. A lot was learned and studied about thunderstorms and windshear and today with computers and training, flying is much safer.

Aviation is safer because we try to learn from mistakes.

Lou

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 130
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top