Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 B-52 Radar (Read 28203 times)
supersonic1981

Re: B-52 Radar
Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
@Trailboss:
Wow things certainly have changed.  We just hear stories about celestial nav, Doppler, etc.  The only instructors we have left that have done that sort of stuff are all O-5s.  They stopped teaching cellestial in the early 90s.  As for DR, it is very much still alive.  GPS is taught, but still carries a sort of stigmata due to its ability to be degraded.  There is a much bigger emphasis now on EWO and weapons systems now, as navs don't track to EWO, WSO or Panel Nav anymore.  I bet you have some cool stories!

@Jbntx,
The radar display shows the correct terrain in front of the aircraft on the CS B-52.  Its actually a good tool, (even on flight sim) for situational awareness as well as basic navigation. I can see both terrain (mountains, lakes, etc) as well as cultural (city) returns.  (For instance, I flew from Miami to Cuba in the CS B-52 without naviads, simply using the radar.)    If you plan on flying low levels this can prove helpful for not hitting cumulus granite (cloud obscured mountains).  Hope this helps.

IP Logged

jbntx

Reply #16 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Jan 11th, 2011 at 4:00pm:
It certainly looks like the radar in mine displays the correct terrain in front of the plane.

Mark

I'm missing something.

How do you tell if you're going to hit that "terrain"?

I've done tests coming from out over the ocean and approaching land at a very low altitude.  
I just don't see any benefit from the green picture of the terrain that I see.

The only user controls I've found are the on/off switch and the brightness control.  Is there something else?

Wouldn't a regular radar that shows weather and other aircraft be
more useful?

IP Logged

supersonic1981

Reply #17 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
I haven't tested the CS B-52 radar at low altitude, but with a real radar you will have shadowing (Black areas showing no return) behind terrain higher than you.  If you see shadowing in front of you, and you continue on that course, you will hit the terrain.  I am not sure if the CS B-52 models this.  Also, real world ground mapping radars will paint both ground as well as air targets.  As a matter of fact you can use radar in IMC conditions to align yourself with a tanker.

If the sim doesn't show shadowing, fly low level and refrence a chart for terrain altitudes.  You can then use the CS radar to scan for terrain features in your area.

I am pretty happy that CS took the time to put this feature in the sim.  While it would be pretty awesome to have more real world radar features, I am not sure how easy it would be (if even possible) to model them in FSX.  Also, I am not entirely certain most users would even care to use these features as it would require study time to take advantage of them.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #18 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 1:48am
Print Post  
In the image I have included in this post, I have put a red box around the TERRAIN DISPLAY CONTROL PANEL.
The green circle surrounds the switch to change between MAP and PEAK. I don't know what they mean or what they do, but I get the best results on MAP.
The yellow circle surrounds the RANGE knob. FSX seems to remember the last setting that it was set to before either shutting down FSX or switching aircraft. If you happened to mess with it and set it (and left it) to 5 miles, you are not going to see very far ahead. If, for example, when coming from out to sea towards land, I would set it at a minimum of 50 miles (further if I'm a long way away). As I get closer to land, I would reduce the range.
I reduce the range to suit what I am doing (I set it to 5 - 10 miles if landing in a mountainous area).

Hope this helps.

Mark

b52radar.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

wavn

Reply #19 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Hi all,

Since yesterday owner of the buff and I like her very much  Smiley Wow: how sluggish in movements she is: at landings you have to point right in time and last minute adjustements are not easily made  Wink

Should be nice however if there were some more nav-aides integrated  Smiley
I saw in a real B52 video that in the radar, there were all kinds of presentations in it and I assume these are nav-aids.

May be the standard gps could be integrated in the radar?

Bye,

Willem

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

IP Logged

awd

Reply #20 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 10:24am
Print Post  
can not turn on

IP Logged

awd

Reply #21 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 10:25am
Print Post  
rador can not turn on.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #22 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Hi awd.

To turn the radar on, see the attached image:

B52_radar.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

N85988

Reply #23 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone,
   The radar in the CS B-52 does work.   When you have the mode select switch in "PEAK"  at high altitudes it will look very much like "MAP" mode,  but at low level it is a whole different story.  Make sure you are in "PEAK",  and fly very low to the ground.  Any obstacle higher than you will show up in much brighter green,  and anything below you will be black or very dark green.   It works very well,  no matter what terrain mesh products you use.  What you see in front of you is what you are really flying over.   It is much like what the nav would see on his radar,  but not what the pilot and copilot would see.   They use a mode called "Profile Video"  which paints a jagged line across the screen at a set distance in front of the aircraft  showing the terrain features.  DBS has a profile radar for FS.  I don't have it,   but plan to get it some day and try to incorporate it into the CS B-52 panel.   It looks very much like what the real profile radar displays look like in a real BUFF.  Also,  the B-52s use three INS's for navigation,  and I am working on trying to integrate the Delco Carousel IV-A Inertial Navigation System Gauges into the plane.  I'll let you know what I work out.

Well, Back to Flying...
Monica

IP Logged

Razordraac

Reply #24 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 9:27am
Print Post  
jbntx wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 8:13pm:
What are we supposed to be seeing through that "radar" anyway?
Is that the ground or straight ahead?

What use is it at 30,000ft

It is good when you fly at night in mountainous areas. But the only mountain the radar would really warn you about at that altitude is Mt. Everest (29,500ft) and K2 (27,000ft), mainly because it only measures things from a particular altitude down.  You can wee this as when you get lower, the terrain's 'peaks' will increase in size and brightness on the screen.

Alex Davies

FX-8350 @ 4.6 GHz | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | Zotac GTX 970 4GB | 8GB DDR3 | ASRock 970 Extreme4
IP Logged

Razordraac

Reply #25 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 9:34am
Print Post  
jbntx wrote on Jan 11th, 2011 at 6:18pm:
Markoz wrote on Jan 11th, 2011 at 4:00pm:
It certainly looks like the radar in mine displays the correct terrain in front of the plane.

Mark

I'm missing something.

How do you tell if you're going to hit that "terrain"?

I've done tests coming from out over the ocean and approaching land at a very low altitude.  
I just don't see any benefit from the green picture of the terrain that I see.

The only user controls I've found are the on/off switch and the brightness control.  Is there something else?

Wouldn't a regular radar that shows weather and other aircraft be
more useful?

As Mark quoted, there is a MAP mode and PEAK mode as well.

And to answer you're other question - I don't think weather radar was around at the time of the B-52 and as an authenticity feature, Captain Sim put in terrain radar as it was in service then. HOWEVER, if you buy the CS Weather Radar from the Captain Sim store, you can implement it on any 2D panel, like the B-52.

Alex Davies

FX-8350 @ 4.6 GHz | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | Zotac GTX 970 4GB | 8GB DDR3 | ASRock 970 Extreme4
IP Logged

Brian.Ellis

Reply #26 - Aug 21st, 2015 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
*Please someone help!!!*
I just bough the B-52 Driver yesterday but cannot get the terrain radar to work.  I've turned up the brightness and switched from peak to map as well as fiddles with the other knobs on the control module but to no success. I cannot open the B-52 radar help image so there may ne something there that I am missing? The aircraft works great other than this!

IP Logged

flibinite

Reply #27 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Somewhere to the left of the captain's toke ther are some push buttons, and one of them says "Power" as I recall - try that button

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top