Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
 25 CIVA INS - THE ONLY THREAD PLEASE (Read 325188 times)
Barb.

CIVA INS - THE ONLY THREAD PLEASE
Sep 21st, 2010 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Heya all

I've been trying to use the INS with the 707 but I can't seem to be able to turn it on. When I switch MSU to 'STBY' nothing happens, as if the gauge was not powered. I've looked in the CIVA manuals but apparently the INS will automatically detect aircraft generators power when engines are running, which was the case. What am-I doing wrong here ?

Cheers

Nico

IP Logged

PeterL

Re: CIVA INS trouble
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Hi Nico,
Well, I've the same problem, can't understand why. After switching the MSU to STBY no red digits appear on the CDU. I checked with FS9/Legendary 707 on which I've installed CIVA as well and there it works as it should. As I also have the out of memory problem I give up for the moment.

Peter

IP Logged

Martin Martinov

Forever New Frontiers

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Same here with the SP1...The VC INS shows the current position. The actual integrated system doesn't light up at all. No matter if it is in STBY, ALIGN or NAV. The ADEU doesn't respond either...  Any ideas?

Regards,&&Martin Martinov

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Captain Sim 2 wrote on Sep 27th, 2010 at 4:36pm:
3D CIVA has been added to the 1.1 VC, but to provide full compatibility we need some tech info from the CIVA INS developer. Unfortunately there is no response so far, so the CIVA will be INOP in 1.1 VC .

Here is the answer you seek. It comes from the 707 Captain - It'd be nice forum.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Haven't tried the standard Civa panel.cfg coming with the product. I just jumped in and modded it to show the double INS and they are both working, numbers lit, aligned, flight plan loaded.

Here's a shot I took while editing the panel.cfg

The only downside so far are the missing DME readings on all instruments. I already wrote a ticket.
The pressurization isn't working too it seems  Sad

Shame on me, DME is working!
Just switch the little DME button on the pedestal to "DME". Sorry, Captain Sim, disregard this part of the ticket.

Haven't flown her a while it seems.

IP Logged

Martin Martinov

Forever New Frontiers

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
MarkoZ thanks for the imput however the question here is with a bit different orientation.

In VC the CIVA is not working, except is very nicely modelled and I hope one day I will be able to control from there.

I am talking about the 2D pop up windows which should contain the actual working system. I have used the panel_CIVA.cfg file in the v.1.1 package (as instructed in the manual). The popup windows are showing up, but the screens are dark, no matter what position the selector key is (OFF-SDBY-ALLIGN-NAV-ATT). The route loader doesnt seem to react too.. The power is coming from all generators, every other system on the aircraft is working.

What am I missing??...

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Ok, as written in your other thread, the panel.cfg from Captain Sim including the Civa is working, so no error by design here.
See:

If power is on the plane (batteries are sufficient for the INS), the avionics are on (radios, DME and instruments are working) and the Civa MSU switch set from off to standby, the unit should light up, even at lowest dimmed settings.
Don't forget the INS/Doppler switch.

If not, I think the .isd file might be corrupt. This is sort of a config file for the INS.

Exit FSX, go to the Civa subfolder and find csx701.isd. Delete or move it, reboot and try again.
Maybe this helps here.
Feel free to report back, Martin.

IP Logged

Barb.

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
OK, this might be a dumb question but it might also just be the answer to my earlier question... How much time does it take for the INS to warm up after you switch it on ? I know it will take some time to align, but how long before the unit is powered up and functional and ready to be aligned ?

Cheers

Nico

IP Logged

Trailboss

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
CoolP,

Can you give me the specifics of the modifications you made to files to install the double INS?

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

CoolP

Civa Double INS Integration
Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
General Civa items:

- The Civa INS on the 707 needs a manual installation of the current (1.51) Civa INS gauge. Get it here http://www.simufly.com/ins/

- To convert a normal FS9/FSX flight plan to one which the Civa ADEU reader can read, you need this tool
PlanConverter http://darkc.no-ip.org/trac/planconverter

- You need to activate the other panel.cfg file in SimObjects\Airplanes\variant's name\panel. Just rename "CIVA_panel.cfg" to "panel.cfg" to activate it. Backup first!

You won't receive any official support on this because this is a user made modification.

Civa Double INS Integration

(updated to 1.3 and all variants of the 707 because some values changed)

(don't worry, this only shows the panels, not an active navigation in progress)

Captain Sim did some remarkable job on this nice plane and on the VC integration of one unit too (although function here is an item to come in a future service pack, so currently, this is a VC dummy).
I felt free to mod the given panel.cfg for the Civa integration to enable the second unit (as 2D only) and some additional bells and whistles.

In detail:
- modification on the simicon panel (only two buttons now, because I've combined MSU and ADEU in one window instead of two)
- backlit buttons all the way (can easily be changed, if you like)
- quick Civa access on the default Autopilot popup
- two CDUs, two MSUs, one ADEU reader (if you need two, tell me and I will change the setup), twin Nav switch, double update flags for visual verification of a DME update in progress
- quick open/close buttons on all panels

I hope you like it and I appreciate any comments about this small text work.

Here's how it's done

Edited:
For the guys who don't want to go through the manual steps here, you can download a complete set of the necessary panel.cfg files. They include all current 707 variants and work with 1.3. http://www.mediafire.com/?449zzlmmy9dpmpl

1. First, as we are going to use the panel.cfg with the default Civa integration (named "CIVA_panel.cfg"), make a backup of it and open with notepad or another text editor.

We are talking about the 707 Version 1.3, please make sure to install the update first.

2. You should have the Civa INS installed. Version 1.51 was used here. It's free and all docs come with it. Enjoy!

3. Working in the panel.cfg, [Window Titles] section

Delete all entries after #05 and replace them with these two
Code
Select All
Window06=INS Control Display Units
Window07=INS MSU+ADEU 

This will give us only two windows for the INS were MSU+ADEU are combined in one and the CDUs with the flags and switches in the other

4. Look at the [Window00] section and delete everything (in that section) after ;CIVA

Replace it with
Code
Select All
gauge04=../civa/INS!CduPanelIconB,   0,  652, 24, 24, 11041
gauge05=../civa/INS!AdeuPanelIconB,  0,  676, 24, 24, 11042

This sets up the new buttons for the following windows.
Caution: You will have to alter the gauge numbers (04 and 05 in this example) if you are using the Freighter, since he already has a gauge04 there, so Civa must go to 05 and 06.

On the VC-137, the icons look "stretched" (which doesn't come from my mod though). You can change this back to normal with replacing 144
Code
Select All
gauge02=Captain_Sim.x703.tools!icons, 0,508,24,144 

with 96 on the final number.
To make the Civa buttons fit then, change 652->604 and 676->628 in their lines then.

5. Delete the [Window04] section completely (this is the 2D AP popup) and replace it with this one

Code
Select All
[Window04]
size_mm=405,100
window_pos= 0.300, 0.020
;position=2
background_color=0,0,0
visible=0
ident=11004
nomenu=0
gauge00=..\..\CS_B707-300\panel\Captain_Sim.x707.P11!P11_ap,0,0,384,100
gauge01=../civa/INS!CduPanelIconB,    385, 0, 20, 20, 11041
gauge02=../civa/INS!AdeuPanelIconB,    385, 20, 20, 20, 11042 

This gives you another placement of the AP popup and two backlit buttons on its right side for quick access to CDU and MSU+ADEU.

6. Delete [Window06], [Window07] and [Window08] completely and replace those old three windows with our new two ones

Code
Select All
;CIVA
[Window06]
size_mm=420,223
background_color=0,0,0
window_pos=0.300, 0.160
position=0
visible=0
ident=11041
no_luminous=1
gauge00=../civa/ins!Cdu1,   0,  0, 200, 158
gauge01=../civa/ins!Cdu2, 200,  0, 200, 158
gauge02=../civa/INS!UpdateFlags, 150, 160, 115, 63
gauge03=../civa/INS!CduPanelIconB,	400, 0, 20, 20, 11041
gauge04=../civa/INS!NavModeDual,	270, 160, 50, 45
gauge05=../civa/INS!AdeuPanelIconB,	400, 138, 20, 20, 11042

[Window07]
size_mm=420,158
background_color=0,0,0
window_pos=0.300, 0.450
position=8
visible=0
ident=11042
no_luminous=1
gauge00=../civa/INS!Msu1,   0,  0, 200, 57
gauge01=../civa/INS!Msu2, 200,  0, 200, 57
gauge02=../civa/INS!Adeu1, 0, 60, 250, 101
gauge03=../civa/INS!AdeuPanelIconB,	400, 0, 20, 20, 11042 

This defines the new combined windows as described above.

7. Go to the [VCockpit01] section and add
Code
Select All
gauge27=../civa/INS!Config,         0,    0,  0, 0, CS707 // this gauge will initialize the Civa units, "CS707.Isd" is the file name of the config file in the Civa folder 

after the last gauge (26)

8. Last step, save the panel.cfg as "panel.cfg" (you might want to backup the default one first) to make sure it's active and fire up FSX together with the 707.
It should look like the screenshot above and it works like the Civa integration before with the additional units and flags.

Edited:
The INS/Doppler switch has to be in the "INS" position, battery and avionics must be turned on, the DME switches on the radios should be on and the AP will follow the INS commands when in NAV mode only.
How to warm up and align the Civa INS is described in the extensive documentation that comes with this free gauge. Just look into the "Civa" folder.

Sadly, I won't take any responsibility for harming your system or installation with these text changes, neither does Captain Sim of course.

Do this at your own risk and hopefully enjoy the now enhanced INS experience.

Feel free to comment here.
I'm no programmer, I'm just a guy that has read the Civa manuals and started working on the modification after getting the idea from Cthulhus.

IP Logged

Martin Martinov

Forever New Frontiers

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Finally after some testing and comparing with the working INS on my Captain 727 I figured out what was the problem.

A simple missing line from the panel.cfg (which was provided with the package)

Here goes:

[Window06]
size_mm=250,196
background_color=16,16,16
window_pos=0.300, 0.070
position=0
visible=0
ident=11041
no_luminous=1
gauge00=../civa/INS!Config,         0,    0,  0, 0, csx701
gauge01=../civa/INS!Cdu1, 0, 0, 250, 196

The file csx701.Isd is not created in the CIVA folder when this line is missing, and this is preventing the gauge from initializing....

IP Logged

Barb.

Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Quote:
look for the Civa manuals, they are free and present if you have installed the gauge (which is free too).
You'll have to use them anyway because a fresh approach on the INS navigation takes some time to understand.

Couldn't find anything about warmup time in the manual. As I read it, switch it on and it lights up, it's the align phase that takes a while.

Might need to have a closer look at that manual though because the INs I'm used to using (SimCheck) doesn't have a MSU and has been simplified in some regards.

Cheers

Nico

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Martin, that line IS provided in the panel.cfg coming with the plane. I've just checked it.
Otherwise my installation would not have been operational.

Here's the excerpt from the original Captain Sim file
Code
Select All
[Window00]
file=bg.bmp
background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,768
window_size_ratio=1.00  
position=7
visible=1
ident=MAIN_PANEL
render_3d_window=0
window_size= 1.000, 1.000
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000
gauge00=Captain_Sim.x707.sys!main, 0,0, 2,2
gauge01=Captain_Sim.x707.sound!main, 0,0,1,1,Captain_Sim\707\sound.ini
gauge02=Captain_Sim.x707.tools!icons, 0,532,24,120
;CIVA
gauge03=../civa/INS!Config,	   0,    0,  0, 0, csx701 

So whatever mixed up your default panel.cfg, kill it!  Grin

Barb., maybe we're talking about different things. You asked me about the warm up time and I responded with the align time.
So maybe my fault here not to have answered correctly.

Read the "QuickReferenceGuideCompact", warm up is mentioned there.

You are right, the Simcheck Airbus has a easy INS compared to the Civa and I'm looking forward to the SP2 of it, because then Civa might work in that plane too.
The Simcheck version isn't bad at all but I'd like to use Civa on all planes, seeing it drift, having a need for DME update and so on.
Optics are much nicer on the easy INS but functions are what makes the Civa special.

IP Logged

Martin Martinov

Forever New Frontiers

Reply #13 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Well alright, but in my cfg file the line was missing and I don't know why. A couple of users here are having similar problem like mine (INS 2D popup panel showing up but not working) so I hope they read this post to find the answer...

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #14 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
It's not I don't trust you, but did you look at your window00 entry in that config file?
Just asking because you've posted your window06 entry.

I find it hard to believe that our installers of the CS 707 1.1 differ much and therefor I assume we are having the same config files delivered.

But this question isn't so important of course. Glad to read your INS ins working then.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top