Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
 25 727 Mods, Fixes & Instructions (Read 58066 times)
Matt2218

727 Mods, Fixes & Instructions
Dec 21st, 2009 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
I've gathered up the following Mods/Fixes/Instructions for the FSX 727 that have been identified by the FlightSim community:

- Autopilot Mod (by me)
- EPR Gauge Mod (code fix by Michael2, gauge compiled by me)
- VSI Gauge Fix (by me)
- Altimeter Fix (code fix by COL Bob Scott, gauges compiled by me)
- Flap Handle VC marking fix (by me)
- Fuel Crossfeed Instructions (written by JETPILOT)
- NAV/GPS Button Instructions (by me)

They are available in a zip here: <File taken offline after version 2.4 released since it fixed most of the bugs>

CaptainSim, if you want me to delete it I will...but I figured this would encourage folks to keep buying and flying the 727 until the next official update comes out.

IP Logged

Bobby Singh

Re: 727 Mods, Fixes & Instructions
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for doing this. I have recently started using 727 and have noticed some of these issues as well. I will try them tonight.

IP Logged

cmpbllsjc

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks so much for compiliing all the fixes into one source. I was interested in doing some of them but was hesitant to mess with the guage edits.

Just to make sure I understand, with the AP mods you can now be able to have the AP track either a heading or course and control the pitch/altitude manually with the yoke, rather than having to use the pitch control knob? If so thats great.

I will back up all my stuff and install these straght away. The 727 has become my favorite airliner to fly since I got it last week and these fixes will really enhance the enjoyment.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
cmpbllsjc wrote on Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:06pm:
Just to make sure I understand, with the AP mods you can now be able to have the AP track either a heading or course and control the pitch/altitude manually with the yoke, rather than having to use the pitch control knob? If so thats great.

Yes.  Flip "off" the elevator master (pitch hold) switch and you can adjust your pitch with the yoke.  Flip the switch back on and the AP will hold the current pitch angle.

The only thing I was not able to solve was that when you hit "altitude hold", the elevator master/pitch hold switch will go to the "off" position, even though the AP is obviously controlling pitch if it is holding an altitude.  When you switch the altitude hold off, the elevator master/pitch hold will switch back on to show that it is holding the current pitch attitude.

As always, when in doubt, shut the AP off and make sure the selector is in 'Manual' and start again.

I personally have been super happy with the AP mod.

I also love the 727; bought the 767s on sale but haven't had much interest in flying them yet.  Not into FMCs etc.

IP Logged

cmpbllsjc

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks Matt for the info and fixes.

I agree with you about loving the 727. I also bought the C-130 during the sale and have only flown it once for about 30 minutes.

The only other airliner I own for FSX is the another company 767 and I haven't flown it at all since getting the 727. Its nice to get back to flying more and less automation.

I really love the sound pack that the 727 came with, especially the reversers sound.

IP Logged

spotlope

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Thanks for uploading these fixes. I took my first airliner flight in many a moon a couple of nights ago, in my new CS 727 100F. With the exception of a couple of glitches (which this pack appears to fix) it was a very enjoyable flight. Thanks to all who made it, and a big thanks to Captain Sim for a true pilot's plane - and for their super holiday sale as well.  Wink

IP Logged

aircanadajet

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Hi, I am new here and I would like to know if there are any instructions included on these files? I am having problems with the 727-200 and the cargo version. Where I go over the buttons or controls in the cockpit and it doesn't seem to have any effect. Meaning that I can't assign the altitude or speed or anything else!

It is strange though because that doesn't happen on the 727-100.

Also when I fly IFR which I do most of the time, I set the direction I was told by the control tower but my plane does not follow the path? Any help would be appreciated! and please know that I don't have too much experience with code language!! Shocked

Aircanadajet/Arturo

IP Logged

pilot

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Matt 2218

Thanks for the fix package. I do have one issue with the AP in that when I switch on the Aileron Master(Autopilot master), the switch flips up to the engaged position correctly. The Elevator Master(Pitch Hold) however does not flip up in the pop up AP window. It seems to function just as u say but I have to remember whether I switched it on or off by testing the pitch responsiveness to the yoke. Is this the way it is supposed to work or is the Elevator master switch supposed to move like the Autopilot master?(it seems to only be stuck in one position"off" even though it functions as u say it should by clicking on it) BTW, in case u are wondering I do have the AP selector in manual at all times. Thanks in advance.

Alex C

Alex Chung

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 9:08am
Print Post  
THANKS Matt.

I downloaded and extracted them into the 727 and they work like a charm. Yes. I did backup the originals first Wink

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
pilot wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 4:10am:
Matt 2218

Thanks for the fix package. I do have one issue with the AP in that when I switch on the Aileron Master(Autopilot master), the switch flips up to the engaged position correctly. The Elevator Master(Pitch Hold) however does not flip up in the pop up AP window. It seems to function just as u say but I have to remember whether I switched it on or off by testing the pitch responsiveness to the yoke. Is this the way it is supposed to work or is the Elevator master switch supposed to move like the Autopilot master?(it seems to only be stuck in one position"off" even though it functions as u say it should by clicking on it) BTW, in case u are wondering I do have the AP selector in manual at all times. Thanks in advance.

Alex C

Good Morning Alex;

No, it is not supposed to work like that...the elevator master is supposed to flip up and down to indicate whether or not "pitch hold" is active. Assuming that you put it in the right place (727-100 "panel" folder), there are two other things I can think of:

- First, even with the revised gauge I also have noticed 'strange' autopilot behavior at times, especially when loading a saved flight or changing aircraft.  I have gotten into the habit of flipping the AP off and on a couple times to clear out any 'memory' it might have.  Just yesterday I had a situation (saved flight) where the elevator master switch would not respond.  Turning the AP off and on a couple of times fixed it.  Please let us know if that works for you.

- Second, the boolean variable that I used to move the Elevator Master switch is "Pitch Hold"...I recall seeing something in the SDK about this being a new variable for SP2/Accel, but I'm not at my home computer to check it right now.  If you are running something other than SP2/Accel, could that be it?

Other than those two things, I don't know what to try.  Please keep in mind that the AP xml gauge that I was able to edit is only half of it.  Behind the scenes is a .gau gauge that I dont know how to edit, so our ability to impact its performance is limited. We're blazing new trails here so everyone please remember to back up your old stuff before you try anything new  Cheesy

- aircanada; keep in mind that you cannot "set" an airspeed or altitude with the 727.  The altitude window on the panel is just an 'alert' that rings a tone when you get close to or deviate from the altitude shown. If a tone is not ringing when the alert goes off, you need to go into the "sound.ini" file in the "FSX/Captain_Sim" folder and change "soundoffwhenslew=1" to "soundoffwhenslew=0" (I think that is what it is called anyway). As for following a heading, make sure that you've got the autopilot set to "manual", aileron master switch on, then flip the "heading select" switch. This should enable you to set the heading with the heading bug.  If you switch it to "NAV/LOC" or "AutoGS" the heading bug is useless.  To hold altitude, you need to flip the 'altitude hold' switch when you are at the desired altitude (and not climbing or diving more than 500 fpm) and it is supposed to hold it from there. I hope that helps, otherwise I don't know.

Anybody else smarter than I am feel free to chime in.  That's about all I know  Huh

Again, anytime you suspect AP issues, flip it off and on once or twice and rotate the mode knob right and left to clear it out. And did I say to back everything up first?

MarkOz - I'm sorry I forgot to include your Flight Engineer Hotkey fix in my file  Embarrassed

IP Logged

javiercuellar

Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
The requested URL could not be retrieved

is the message I recive in the link

IP Logged

javiercuellar

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
now working  Wink

IP Logged

aircanadajet

Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks matt: you would not mind if I ask you to point where these buttons are in the cockpit would you? I can see that there is a AP button on the icons and the automatic controls appear. From there I can see a wheel knob, then a bigger wheel knob; which I think it reads pitch down or up, and then the AP, ALT HOLD and Ring DEL and A, B, AB. which ones should I have turn on? thanks!! Roll Eyes

Aircanadajet/Arturo

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #13 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
aircanadajet wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 7:26pm:
Thanks matt: you would not mind if I ask you to point where these buttons are in the cockpit would you? I can see that there is a AP button on the icons and the automatic controls appear. From there I can see a wheel knob, then a bigger wheel knob; which I think it reads pitch down or up, and then the AP, ALT HOLD and Ring DEL and A, B, AB. which ones should I have turn on? thanks!! Roll Eyes

Sure - open up the CS Manual #2 to page 57, I'll refer to the number labels on the AP gauge picture shown there. Everything I'm going to say applies to the Autopilot POPUP gauge only...I didn't make any mods to the one built into the pedestal of the VC and I don't use it!

- Before engaging the AP, you want to be sure that knob #1 is in manual mode, and that switches 3 and 4 are down.  For good luck I generally click #3/#4 on/off once or twice.  Note that when you flip #3 up, #4 goes up too; but you need to flip them down individually.

- Once you are off the ground, if you flip switch #3, both #3 and #4 switches will go up.  At this point the AP has control of the aircraft in all axes.  You will stay "wings level" (or go level if you aren't already) and your nose will stay at whatever pitch up or down that it was when you flipped the switches. This is MANUAL MODE.

1) In this manual mode, you can do a few things:
  a) Use knob #2 to roll the aircraft or pitch it up or down.
  b) Flip switch #4 off and control pitch manually with the yoke.  When you have the pitch angle you like, you can flip switch #4 back on again, and it will hold your pitch.
  c) Flip switch #5 up and the AP will seek and hold the altitude that you were at when you flipped the switch.  Make sure your climb or descent rate is small or the aircraft will porpoise.  Note that if switch #4 was on when you turned on #5, it will switch to the off position.  This is not realistic, but the best I could do with my limited skills.
  d) Flip switch #7 up and the aircraft will turn to fly whatever heading is indicated by the 'heading bug' (orange triangle) on the Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI). Note that if you adjust pitch using Knob #2 while you are turning toward a heading, the aircraft will temporarily stop turning as it seeks 'wings level'.  Once you stop messing with it, the AP will continue turning toward the heading.

Other modes:

NAV LOC

- If you want to track a VOR radial  or ILS localizer (horizontal navigation only), turn knob #1 to the NAV LOC position.  This has no impact at all on pitch, so you can still do the following actions listed above: 1a (pitch only), 1b, or 1c. When you go to NAV LOC mode, switch #7 will shut off and the heading bug will do nothing.

Note that if it seems like the aircraft will not capture the radial/localizer...try turning off the AP and back on, including rotating the mode knob (#1) to the right and back left to "manual".

AUTO G/S

- Auto G/S is the approach mode you use to track an ILS.  For best results, this is how I do it:

1) Start in manual mode:
- Knob #1 in manual
- Knob #2 at zero bank
- Switch #3 on
- Switch #5 on (holding my intercept altitude); therefore switch #4 off.
- Switch #7 on, holding the intercept heading that I want.

2) As you close in on the localizer, BELOW the glideslope, turn Knob #1 to "Auto G/S".  The aircraft should begin to intercept the localizer, and switch #7 will turn off.  As the glideslope indicator centers, you should see switch #5 flip "off" (#4 stays off) and the aircraft will pitch down to follow the glideslope. Make sure to manage your flaps/throttle/gear so that you aren't getting too fast or slow!

3) As I near landing (or whenever I want control) I hit "z" on my keyboard to shut off the AP (you will hear a buzzer and switch #3 will shut off).

The rest of the landing is up to you at that point.

MAN G/S

- I don't know what that mode does.

I don't use knob #6 for anything.

I hope this helps with the 'knobology' of my modified Sperry AP.  Knowing how to operate it is only one small part of flying the aircraft successfully.  I recommend you read the CS manuals cover to cover and scrub the web for guidance on how to fly an approach.

Remember:
- Too much or too little speed will hurt you.
- Lowering your gear or adding flaps will generally require you to add power due to the increased drag.  Adding flaps in particular will cause the aircraft to climb temporarily but lose speed in the long run.
- When the aircraft pitches down to follow the glideslope it will gain speed.  
- Due to the 727's relatively low power and spool time, you need to anticipate when you will need power.
- With practice you'll get it!

IP Logged

Matt2218

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Quick update...

I've fixed a small issue where the orange "MDA" light did not energize upon reaching the selected 'decision height' on the radio altimeter.  The fixed gauge .cab is in a separate MDA Light Fix folder that you can find at the link in my first post.

Fly Safe!

Matt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top