Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Ineffective Nosewheel Steering (Read 6608 times)
Dwayne

Ineffective Nosewheel Steering
Aug 26th, 2009 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Hello,

Is there anybody out there having issues with controllability on the ground?  When I taxi around, my nosewheel slips all over the place unless I am rolling 2 knots.  It is as if the nosewheel is on ice (no friction with the ground).  The plane is almost unusable.  I know for a fact that the real 757 does not taxi like this as I used to taxi real 757s when I was a mechanic for a major airline.  Is this a problem the software or are my settings in flight simulator wrong?  It doesn't happen on any airplane except for this one. Thank you.

-Dwayne

IP Logged

Tyrion

Aviation Student

Re: Ineffective Nosewheel Steering
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
I taxi at about 10 knots in turns, no problem there. When I try to turn when going faster, it becomes problematic sometims.
What I do experience, is that it's sometimes hard to make the plane stop turning on the ground. But no problem getting her in a turn at a reasonable speed.

Lars

IP Logged

Gradl

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
I think this Problem is an FS limitation, because the "nose wheel" is the same as the Rudder. Theres no difference in FS and thats the reaseon while "steering" is not very accurate.

PS.: The ProTu 154 uses a own nose wheel steering witch seems realistic.

IP Logged

Beachdog2001

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Frankly speaking, I think the real answer to your question is that this aircraft taxis like a drunken sailor no matter what you do unless you taxi everywhere at 3-5 kts.  And no, many other FSX aircraft are not like this.

My take anyway.

Bill Barrette&&P4 3.2 GHz HT, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 7600GS 512MB AGP, WinXP SP3, FSX SP2&&

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 1:16am
Print Post  
I don't know that taking turns at much more than 10kts is advisable anyway.  I try to take turns slow in all aircraft and taxi speed on the straight at around 20 kts.

With all aircraft, a tap on the brakes will allow a tighter turn.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Budbud

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 4:19am
Print Post  
Hi there,

I know it's an old topic, but as I have reinstalled my 757 recently, I looked for that issue here to see if anybody had found a solution.
As I have several addons for the 757, I compared the config files and found out a kind of fix.
In the section [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE], I have changed the value 'empty_weight_yaw_MOI    =' to 3371429 (default is 7500000), and steering is much easier now.
I have not thoroughly tested yet in flight, but at least on the ground it works fine!
If it can help.
Cheers,
Budbud

Romain Roux&&&&&&http://www.air-child.com/mysig/ACH1179.jpg" data-rel="gb_image[nice_pics]" title="ACH1179.jpg">http://www.air-child.com/mysig/ACH1179.jpg" id="signat_img_resize_14" alt="ACH1179.jpg" title="ACH1179.jpg" style="display:none" />

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top