Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
 25 FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please (Read 46381 times)
Captain Sim 2
CS Team

FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please
Dec 19th, 2008 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
The first tip - please check this FMS Tutorial in FSX forum section.

IP Logged

Dillon

Approach runway info not displayed
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Upon preparation for takeoff at the gate when I enter the runway info in the FMC I see the takeoff runway displayed on the lower display screen.  On approach when cleared for landing on a specific runway I in turn enter the runway in the FMC but that doesn't translate in a visible representation on the lower ND screen.  In version 1.4 this was not a problem and on days when visibility is low you could track a proper intercept path when default ATC gives you something less than desirable concerning a smooth transition to intercept the cleared runway.   I see the route and destination airport just fine but in 2.1 I'm no longer able to see the cleared runway come up on the lower ND screen.

IP Logged

Aviator327

Airline Transport Pilot
(Ret)

Re: Approach runway info not displayed in v2.1.
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, Got the Arrival Runway to display last night in FSX ok. Just did a flight this morning in FS9 with version 2.1 and the arrival runway displays correctly.

&&&&Dell XPS600 l Dell 2407WFP l FS9.1 FSX SP2 l Win7 Prox64 l Evga GTX260 896mb&&&&

IP Logged

Dillon

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
So your saying this works for you at any time and at any airport???

IP Logged

Aviator327

Airline Transport Pilot
(Ret)

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Affirmative. Have been to about 10 different airports in the US and all show the arrival runway. Haven't tried any airports in Europe yet. If you will send me one of your flight plans I will try it out. Thanks.

&&&&Dell XPS600 l Dell 2407WFP l FS9.1 FSX SP2 l Win7 Prox64 l Evga GTX260 896mb&&&&

IP Logged

eddie123

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Hi.
Do you mean it displays on the FMC?
I have no prob withthat if that`s the case.
My prob is its not displayed in the HSI display.
Shouldn`t you get the rwy I.D come up?

Eddie

IP Logged

Dillon

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Aviator327 wrote on Dec 17th, 2008 at 10:57pm:
Affirmative. Have been to about 10 different airports in the US and all show the arrival runway. Haven't tried any airports in Europe yet. If you will send me one of your flight plans I will try it out. Thanks.

That won't be nessicary just explain to us exactly what your doing to get this to happen.  Are you only punching in the ILS frequency in the FMC and not on the main panel?  Are you leaving the setting on the main panel for ILS on 'Auto' and only entering the info in the FMC?  Did you upgrade from the block system or are you using a fresh version of 2.1?  From start to finish if you don't mind tell us what your doing...

IP Logged

Aviator327

Airline Transport Pilot
(Ret)

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Dillion, check out this link and look at he post eylab started. He gives a good example on setting up the arrival runway.
http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208001573/30

The first thing i do when nearing the destination airport is to bring up the radio stack and enter the ILS freq for the arrival runway. Don't enter it on the MCP. That one is VOR/DME only.

I tried to enter the freq on the RDO DATA page in the FMC but that doesn't work. After following eylab's example leave the EFIS on HSI MAP Mode. that shows the arrival runway on the ND. If you switch to ILS Mode it shows the track and ILS freq but not the actual runway number. Hope this helps. I tried it in FSX and FS9 and it works.

IP Logged

Dillon

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 6:38am
Print Post  
O.K. we're making headway here!!!  Smiley

First off I'm getting an ILS signal on the PFD screen by entering the ILS frequency on the center panel like you suggested (your example shows a 2D popup).  The bird performs a perfect ILS landing in FS9 by doing this and leaving the main panel NAV1 setting set to  'Auto' without any adjustment change.  All that's needed is the ILS frequency entered in the NAV1 section on the center console, GREAT... 

Now I'm still not getting any runway data on the lower ND screen.  You should be able to go to the 'DEPT/ARRIV' page on the FMC and select the runway and see the track on the lower ND screen.  I'm off to try what 'eylab' suggested in the link you provided above to see if that works.  I'm starting to feel allot better about things but just the same CS shouldn't have us beta testing this thing.  I hope they fix this FMC issue once and for all... Undecided

I'll let you know if 'eylab' suggestion works on my end to get the runway to show up on the ND screen.

IP Logged

duesenwerni

Better not edit the navigation database
Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Hi gents,

just tried to edit the airport database on my own to correct the two false austrian airport codes LOXK (instead of LOWK) and LOXG (instead of LOWG). Opened the database with editor, corrected the entries and saved it.
Upon restart, the FMC didn´t find the corrected codes and the old false ones neither  Embarrassed
Bingo, had to do a complete reinstall.
So, this is just to tell you it´s not a good idea to come and try this.

Regards,
Werner

IP Logged

hamter

Re: Better not edit the navigation database
Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Thats why Im asking for a converter or encoder or whatever. So we can edit the database and dont only rely on the other publisher.
On the page planpath.com of the actual publisher of navigation-database there is no update for CS database yet. Hopefully itll come soon.
schönen Gruß ausm Südharz Wink

IP Logged

hamter

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
I think I know now why your try failed. You have just edited the airport.db. But then there is the Runway.db, which is linked to the Airports.db, as well as the Sids.db and Star.db. You just need to find all entrys with LOXG or whatever in any of those files and it should work. I mean it makes sense that the aircraft crashed when having sids, stars rwys but no proper airport for it.

Edit: Even Cthulhus has made it

IP Logged

duesenwerni

Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2008 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Thanks, mate  Smiley

IP Logged

duesenwerni

How to program FMC
Reply #13 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Hi Juan,

to answer your question first - some airports have sids and stars and some airports don´t.

As for programming the fmc, it´s pretty straightforward. Here´s a little overview on how to do it (but don´t blame me for any mishaps, if I forgot something  Wink)
You start with the position page entering your current position or airport, then go on to the route page and enter your departure and arrival airport´s codes.
If you already have a route stored, you can load it by pushing the "send request" button or LSK (line select key)
This also applies for Flightsimulator generated flightplans, so if you manage to build a Flightplan with the FS2004 Flightplanner, you can upload it to the FMC via the CDU. When building your plan via the FS9 planner, ypu can edit it and add waypoints, that would resemble the real world sid or star.
Once you have the departure and destination airports, you then go on to the dep/arr page and select your departure runway. Dont´t forget to activate your choice via the activte key. Some airports (by far not all  Cry) have departures and arrivals in the database. If there´s one four yur airport, you can select it fom the depp/arr page. From there on you go and enter the missing waypoints of ypur route. Next on, you go to the NAV page and enter vour desired cruise altidude. Always check, if there is a discontinuity (or empty waypoint line). If there´s one, close it by selecting the next waypoint down the line and entering it into the empty field. Then push the activate key. When you have done that, your route is ready.
Of course, you also have to enter the correct weights in the PERF page.
You do this by loading your bird via the ACE preflight tool, selecting your number of pax and freight. Then you load FS9, load your flight and plane and go to the Fuel and Weights menu. There you take the empty weight, add the payload weight and get a number. Enter this number in the XXX.X format into the Perf page in the ZFW line, add reserves (4.0 should do nicely) and the CDU calculates the fuel and gross weight.
Next you go to the takeoff page. There you select the desired flap setting (15° should do) and the CDU calculates the V1, Vr and V2 speeds.
Also enter the CoG (center of gravity) from the perf init page.
Then taxi to the rway, set your flaps, line up and (in the 2d cockpit), advance the throttles a little, select the autothrottle and push EPR. Then go to the EPR selector panel (above the gear indicator) and select TO/GA.
Off you go. At positive rate of climb and gear up engage the autopilot and select LNAV and VNAV. Retract your flaps then and watch the autopilot do its work.
Apart from that I can only encourage you to take the manual part5 and study it carefully.
Always three greens and Happy landings from LOWK,
Werner

IP Logged

jarcelus

Re: How to program FMC
Reply #14 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks a lot Werner for your most comprehensive and clear tutorial on FMC programming. So far I have been able to do some basic flights, although no terminal procedures were found for may airport. AS other people have mentioned in some posts, the A/T does not keep the indicated speed and the plane almost always overspeeds.

I have another question: what CoG vale should I introduce in the FMC?

Best regards,

Juan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top