Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Send TopicPrint
 25 FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please (Read 233173 times)
Dez

FMC TIPS,TRICKS,PROCEDURES-the only thread please
Apr 12th, 2008 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Thanks very much for the product.  Smiley
I programmed the FMC but when I engage the auto-pilot, above 1000ft, using the VNAV and LNAV, it seems it is not following the route (e.g. EEDF-EDDV, EGCC-EGLL).  I have other product 767 and 747 and the FMC works on them perfectly alright.  I cannot understand why it is not working on the Captain Sim product.  What I am doing wrong?  I thought that with the 767, 747 and 757 the FMC would be all the same procedure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mo

IP Logged

hamter

Re: FMC
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Did you align the IRS? It actually follows your route perfectly. Just did another test flight from EGLL to EDDV and I cant complain. There was one issue when the AP was overspeeding but I managed to get it sorted. Did an Autoland at the end with all the calculated speeds of the FMC. VNAV did not exceed its limits and LNAV , well I overflew every Waypoint and finished in EDDV what else can I say?! Cool

IP Logged

Dez

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
hamter wrote on Apr 12th, 2008 at 12:52pm:
Did you align the IRS? It actually follows your route perfectly. Just did another test flight from EGLL to EDDV and I cant complain. There was one issue when the AP was overspeeding but I managed to get it sorted. Did an Autoland at the end with all the calculated speeds of the FMC. VNAV did not exceed its limits and LNAV , well I overflew every Waypoint and finished in EDDV what else can I say?! Cool

Thanks for the reply
Yes I did set the align to the IRS to NAV mode but sitll not working.

IP Logged

hamter

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I hope you also noticed the timeframe it takes to align the IRS...when you set the IRS to align there will be a countdown. Today it was 10 minutes for me until I could start to roll or move in any way. Its not very obvious to see thats why I tell you. I dont know anything else that could cause you trouble.
Good luck

IP Logged

signmanbob

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
It has to be something that you are doing wrong because mine follows a route perfectly.  In fact I went into the FMC/CDU LEGS page and changed my speed/altitude settings and VNAV followed that perfectly also.  I was very impressed.

IP Logged

Dez

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
D/T

IP Logged

Dez

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Works perfectly now  :)

[url][/url]http://content.images.flightsimworld.com/member_uploads_1/GCS0001_6S4ff.jpg

IP Logged

Longhornmaniac8

Changing FMS Runway Selection
Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Hey all, I was messing around this afternoon in my CS 757, and I was coming into land at ORD. I was on the BDF5 STAR with the BAYLI transition. I had previously (earlier in the flight) selected 4R as my arrival runway as I thought that was what it would be given the winds. Of course, FS' stupid weather thought it'd be more fun to land with the wind. So I tried to change my arrival runway to 27L (after I had contacted the tower), and shoot the ILS 27L approach. I was well into the STAR by the time I could actually contact the tower to finally determine my arrival runway. When I tried to change it, it wanted me to backtrack and start the STAR all over again. Is there anyway to change or edit my route so that I don't have to backtrack (WITHOUT getting a route discontinuity)?

This was really frustrating after a 2.5 hour flight.

Any help/insight to the process is much appreciated.

PS: What is the MCP (in the manuals)?

Cheers,
Cameron

IP Logged

bobde

Re: Changing FMS Runway Selection
Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Hey Cameron, try using the "copy rte" FMC fuction and setup for two different approaches from the same star during cruise...a good pilot is prepared for any contingency...including "clueless" controllers who can't tell which way the wind is blowing!

Wink
Bob

IP Logged

Longhornmaniac8

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 3:08am
Print Post  
Hey Bob!

Good idea, I'll try that.

One thing though, would this help me out so close in? Can I just switch them at close range (i.e. once I find out what runways are being used)?

Thanks again!

Cameron

IP Logged

bobde

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:39am
Print Post  
It depends on the the last star waypoint. I know your going to hate to hear this, but you've got to have the chart for the particular star you are flying...you can get just about any US chart at Airnav.com there is usually a waypoint that says "expect to cross [waypoint name] at such & such [altitude] (with or without a speed restriction) copy that info into your legs page. That should give you enough time to setup for any runway approach since that waypoint is designed so you're at the right altitude and speed for vectors to final to any of the arrival airport's runways. I'm over simplifying this a bit so if you have more questions I'd be happy to help again.

Happy Trails!

Bob

IP Logged

Longhornmaniac8

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Hey Bob,

I wouldn't hate that at all. It adds to the realism!

Usually, actually, I do. However, I suppose I'm still a little worried that I'm going to have to make a guess as to which runway I'm landing on when I'm at that final waypoint, simply because I'm going to be too far out to contact the tower. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to test it out for a couple weeks, and that's really the only way to figure out for sure. I suppose if I contact the ATIS a good ways out, I should have enough time...

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it!

Cameron

Edit: I suppose what I'm really asking is how to make sure I have an easily interchangeable plan in my FMS. I more or less understand how a STAR works, I'm just not sure how (if at all) to change the ILS runway once I've begun the STAR. Do you know if this can even be done?

Thanks again, and I'll get back to you when I have a chance to test it out.

IP Logged

Neal

Cannot Save FMC Route Data
Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
After entering all of my data in the FMC, I tell the system to save the route, I enter a name such as KMCOKATL and press the key corresponding to save. I get File Save Failure. Any Clues?

IP Logged

aussie

Re: Cannot Save FMC Route Data
Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
yep! happened with me apparently it went away when i disabled  User Account Control (UAC) that comes with windows defender.
alternatively just try to make CaptainSim folder and subfolders writable instead of readonly. IMO due to this the winglet models were not showing up as well because ACE tries to rewrite aircraft.cfg file but if UAC is active it keeps the Airplanes folder readonly and would not allow any changes.

Hope this helps

IP Logged

Neal

Re: Cannot Save FMC Route Data
Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Ohh, Good catch.
Ill disable UAC, its irritating anyways.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top