Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Controlling rate of climb and decent. (Read 2116 times)
bassplayer1939

Controlling rate of climb and decent.
Dec 23rd, 2007 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Hi I am new to this forum but not new to flight simming. The 707 appealed to me because I used to fly in it in the late 60's and early 70's. However flying the sim version is proving difficult.Other than hand flying the craft to any given altitude I can find no other successful way.This means that engaging AP and getting on the GPS track as you do when flying all other aircraft in the sim world , has to be delayed until you reach crusing altitude.There does not seem to be the facility to dial in an altitude and fly to it in AP mode.I have tried engaging AP and locking onto the GPS route then using the Up and Down control in AP ( which disengages Alt Lock). This is so crude as to be ridiculus as there is no way of controlling climb rate. Stall usually results. I have yet to get to the point where I have to decend to specific hights when instructed to by ATC. I am sure that there are many of you out there who have successfully solved this problem.
I accept I will always have to control the airspeed manually but there must be a smother way of achieving altitude.

Mick.

IP Logged

Joeflyer

Re: Controlling rate of climb and decent.
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Actually you can control the rate of ascent or descent with the autopilot(the big, round knob). Clicking the top of knob and very bottom of knob controls vertical speed. The 707 does indeed have altitude selector...you just "dial in" the altitude you want. Now, as far as the airplane flying the planned route shortly after take off, I suggest that you install CIVA INS. This is the sure-fire way of taking the load off while you are trying to maintain the correct vertical/air speed after takeoff. CIVA does a fine job of capturing the planned route and stays on it until you turn off altitude hold. Then you have to re-engage CIVA. Why it shuts down after turning of altitude hold is beyond me. Give it a try.

&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top